Message Sam 3 Oct 2009 13:54

Lumwana open pit mine 37 years to go

Lumwana open pit mine 37 years to go

By Times Reporter

THE Government on Thursday evening told Parliament that Lumwana open pit mine in North-Western Province had a life span of 37 years while Mopani Copper Mine (MCM) in Kitwe is at 35 years.

Mines Deputy Minister Boniface Nkhata told the House that the estimated lifespan for Nchanga open pit was estimated at six years, Nchanga underground 22 years, Baluba shaft 15, Mopani Copper Mine (MCM) in Mufulira five years.

Mr Nkhata was responding to a question from Roan Member of Parliament (MP) Chishimba Kabwili, Patriotic Front (PF), who wanted to know the estimated lifespan of each mine and estimated ore deposits.

On the estimated ore deposits Mr Nkhata told the House that Lumwana open pit stands at 630 million tonnes, MCM-Kitwe 147 million, Nchanga open pit 12 million, Nchanga underground 72 million, Baluba shaft 33 million, MCM in Mufulira seven million.

He said the life span of mine is subject to change depending on exploration activities and was confident that the mining activities would contribute to the development of the country.

Meanwhile, Mr Nkhata told the House that five companies were currently conducting exploration activities in Kalabo, Lukulu and Kaoma districts in Western Province.

Mr Nkhata was responding to a question in Parliament from Luampa MP, Mwiya Limata UPND, who wanted to know whether there are any plans to open mines in the districts.

He told the House that currently five companies were carrying out exploration works while one is mining and that once proven mining development would commence.

And Mines Minister Maxwell Mwale told the House that Spirit of the River company have been placed under receivership and that it is in the process of revoking the exploration licence although it still holds mining licence after failing to adhere to some conditions.

Meanwhile, the Government has disbursed more than K230 billion to the University of Zambia (UNZA) Great East Road Campus from January 2008 to June this year.

Deputy Education Minister Clement Sinyinda told Parliament that more than K230, 484, 655, 806.00 had been disbursed to the institution of higher learning during the period.

Mr Sinyinda was responding to a question by Chipili MP, Davies Mwila who wanted to find out how much money the Government had disbursed to the UNZA from January 2008 to June 2009.

“The financial status of the University as of June 2009 was as follows: the university had just reopened and registration had not been completed.

“Funds available for operational costs were K2.1 billion compared to requirements of K3.2 billion. While funds for students hostel amounted to K3.2 billion,” he said.

http://www.times.co.zm/news/viewnews.cg ... 1254550914
« L'aventure n'existe pas. Elle est dans l'esprit de celui qui la poursuit, et dès qu'il peut la toucher du doigt, elle s'évanouit pour renaître bien plus loin, sous une autre forme, aux limites de l'imagination. »
( Pierre Mac Orlan )