Message Ven 6 Jan 2012 09:05

Kansanshi Mine strike ends

By KATONGO CHISUPA and KELVIN CHONGO
OVER 500 unionised workers yesterday called off a three-day crippling strike and resumed work at Kansanshi copper and gold mine in Solwezi, following intervention by government and union leaders.
The strike has been costly to both the mining firm and the government in terms of revenue with losses going into billions of Kwacha.
Kansanshi mine, which produces approximately 700 tonnes of copper ore per day, is a joint venture between First Quantum Minerals (FQM) of Canada and the Zambian government.
The Zambian government owns 20 percent shares through ZCCM-IH while FQM owns 80 percent.
The miners, who were demanding a 100 percent pay rise among other improved conditions of service, went back to work yesterday morning after a protracted three-way meeting between the Kansanshi mine management, the unions and Minister of Labour and other government officials. The meeting, which started around 16:00 hours on Wednesday, lasted nearly eight hours.
Kansanshi mine public relations manager Godfrey Msiska confirmed to the Mail that the miners had resumed work and everything is well.
“Workers have resumed their duties and as you know, they were on a wildcat strike,” Mr Msiska said in a brief telephone interview.
He said all the parties involved had resolved to continue with the negotiations, adding that: “We have agreed to go that way.”
Mr Shamenda jetted into Solwezi on Wednesday to try and avert further damage to the economy, following the work stoppage at the country’s biggest copper mine.
The minister managed to strike a deal between management and the unions to end the three-day strike, after a protracted closed-door meeting at the mine premises which lasted eight hours.
Mr Shamenda told reporters after the meeting that all the issues raised by the workers would be looked into positively, and urged them to resume work while negotiations continue.
The minister, however, directed mine management to ensure that the workers’ demands are met by next month.
He also called for good industrial relations between the union and the workers, advising them to handle the bargaining process well to avoid industrial unrest.
Mr Shamenda warned workers that government will not tolerate any illegal work stoppages.
Earlier yesterday, Mr Shamenda said nationalisation of the mines in the country is not on the Patriotic Front (PF) government’s agenda.
Mr Shamenda, who was responding to calls by youths that government should nationalise the mines, said the solution is to find an amicable way of harmonising the relationship between investors and workers.
“The PF government is trying to harmonise the relationship between investors and employees. We are not interested in nationalising the mines,” he said.
Mr Shamenda called on investors to respect labour laws.
Meanwhile, Mr Shamenda has called on PF cadres in Solwezi to participate in the governance of the country by maintaining checks and balances, to ensure that the PF government delivers on its promises to the people.
The minister said the people of North Western Province must learn to work in harmony with other people who have ventured into the province for business.
He said the government will ensure that Solwezi is transformed into the new Copperbelt.
Despite being a fast-growing mining town, infrastructure in Solwezi is generally poor.