Vedanta to double output at Zambia's Konkola Copper Mines -r

<<

Laf1986

Message Lun 11 Juin 2018 20:45

Vedanta to double output at Zambia's Konkola Copper Mines -r

* KCM targets 200,000 T copper in 2018

* Says to build 300 MW power plant in Zambia

* Planning 200 MW power plant in South Africa (Adds detail)

By Chris Mfula

LUSAKA, June 11 (Reuters) - Vedanta Resources plans to double finished copper production at Zambia’s Konkola Copper Mines (KCM) to 200,000 tonnes this year, the CEO of its Zambian unit said on Monday.

KCM has ploughed roughly $5 billion into the southern African country’s copper mines since 2004, including a $1 billion investment package announced last year to revamp and upgrade some mines.

“Last year we produced just under 100,000 tonnes and I want us to get to 200,000 tonnes this year,” Vedanta’s Deshnee Naidoo told Reuters, adding that KCM is on track to produce 400,000 tonnes of copper a year in the next few years.

Vedanta also plans to invest $300 million in a 300 megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Zambia and has started pre-feasibility studies, she said.

Naidoo, also the head of Vedanta’s Africa Base Metals unit, said the company is also looking at building another power plant at a zinc refinery at Gamsberg in the Northern Cape region of South Africa.

Vedanta is already bringing on new production at Gamsberg, where output should start within a month, ramping up to full production of 250,000 tonnes annually in about a year, she said.

Naidoo also said that it may not be possible to mine underground in Namibia when the company’s open-pit operations at Skorpion Zinc become exhausted around 2020.

“As it stands, we might only extend the mine life by another 2-3 years,” she said.

Skorpion is expected to produce about 90,000 tonnes of zinc this year, reaching approximately 130,000 tonnes by 2020. (Reporting by Chris Mfula Editing by David Goodman)
Dernière édition par Laf1986 le Lun 11 Juin 2018 22:41, édité 1 fois.
<<

mbury

Localisation: Nord de l'Alsace, dans le Parc Régional des Vosges du nord

Message Lun 11 Juin 2018 20:59

Re: Vedanta to double output at Zambia's Konkola Copper Mine

Laf1986 a écrit:LUSAKA, June 11 (Reuters) - Vedanta Resources plans to double finished copper production AT Zambia’s Konkola Copper Mines to 200,000 tonnes this year, the CEO of its Zambian unit said on Monday.

“Last year we produced just under 100,000 tonnes and I want us to get to 200,000 tonnes this year,” Vedanta’s Deshnee Naidoo told Reuters.

Entre "vouloir et faire", une belle différence... surtout si on relit toutes les déclarations passées de KCM...

Retourner vers About Konkola KCM - Vedanta