Message Jeu 14 Mar 2013 15:24

Collum mine

State sets up team to run Collum Mine
March 14, 2013 | Filed underBusiness | Posted by mitia
MUSUKWA
BY JUDITH NAMUTOWE -

GOVERNMENT has constituted a strategic management team to run the repossessed Collum coal mine in Southern Province, Deputy Mines, Energy and Water Development Minister Richard Musukwa has announced.

The move comes shortly after Government repossessed the Chinese-run mine for failure to comply with safety laws.

Mr Musukwa said the team was formulated in collaboration with the Zambia Consolidated Copper Mines – Investment Holdings (ZCCM-IH) which was also asked to scout for equity partners to take over the troubled mine.

He said the management team would comprise technical experts from general manager level and other supporting staff.

Government wanted to ensure that the mine was viable by putting in place a management team that would revive and create a sustainable and safe entity which would be highly profitable.

Speaking in an interview in Lusaka yesterday, Mr Musukwa said the Government was determined to revive the mine so that it could benefit people in the area.

“We also want issues of accidents to be a thing of the past and the people who will be engaged will be well trained and experienced to be able to run and operate the mine more effectively,” Mr Musukwa said.

Mr Musukwa also said, Government was looking at the possibility of redesigning the mine plan to maximise production in a safe environment.

He urged workers at the mine and in the surrounding areas to be calm as the takeover was in the interest of the environment, people and the nation at large.

The deputy minister said, Government would ensure that Collum Mine contributed significantly to the community in which it operated in terms of infrastructure development which includes roads, education and health among other requirements.

Mr Musukwa said Government was determined to ensure that workers at Collum Mine were highly trained through initiatives and mechanisms that would be put in place.

As soon as the equity partner was found, Government would ensure that they (Partners) adapted quickly to the operations.

Government would support investors whose operations were run in accordance with the Mines and Minerals Act.

He said Government would not sit idle and watch investors abrogate the Mines Act including, failure to pay mine taxes.

Last month the Government revoked all the three small-scale mining licences held by Chinese Collum Coal Mine and took over operations.

Mines, Energy and Water Development Minister Yamfwa Mukanga who announced the cancellation of the licences in Lusaka said, ZCCM-Investment Holdings would continue to operate the mine until a suitable investor was found.

The mine also failed to pay mineral royalties to Government and did not commence production on some of the mining rights since they were granted.