Message Mer 5 Mar 2014 16:01

U.S. $2.5 Million Kariba Gemstone Mine Rehab Done

Zambia: U.S. $2.5 Million Kariba Gemstone Mine Rehab Done
BY JAMES KUNDA, 4 MARCH 2014
THE Construction and rehabilitation projects at the world's single largest Amethyst emerald mine in Kariba, Southern Province, have been completed at a cost of US$2.5 million.

The Kariba Amethyst mine is a joint venture by Government and London stock exchange listed Gemfields Plc which is also the major shareholder in Kagem mining Limited.

According to a statement released in Ndola yesterday, the Government last year, elected to transfer its 50 per cent stake in Kariba, with Gemfields owning the remaining 50 per cent.

While the transfer of these shares has not been completed, Gemfields and the Zambia Consolidated Copper Mines Investment Holdings (ZCCM-IH) agreed to recapitalise the mine operations with US$2.5 million.

"Mining and processing equipment has been purchased and is now functioning on site and as at December 31, 2013, all rehabilitation and construction projects had been complete and within budget," states the report.

The firm said rehabilitation works on the sort house and extension of the strong room were completed during this period while a new 100 tonne per hour washing plant was also commissioned.

Meanwhile, Gemfields says its underground trial mining project continues to provide the firm with a high degree of confidence that a large scale underground mining project could be safely and efficiently implemented on the Zambian Emerald Belts.

The trial mining project has maintained its safety report with no reportable injuries while achieving 131.8 metres of horizontal advance during the first six months of the 2013 financial year.

"A total of 1,568 tonnes of ore was produced during the six months while, approximately 96,235 carats were produced by the underground operations in the period," the firm stated.

Further, Gemfields said, analysis continues in order to allow the company to consider the investment required to implement the large scale underground operation.
Ce que l'on conçoit bien, s'énonce clairement, Et les mots pour le dire arrivent aisément. BOILEAU