Message Lun 15 Oct 2012 21:16

Extrait rapport annuel Gemfields à fin 06/2012

Kariba Amethyst Mine
In line with the increased level of importance attributed to this project, production at the Kariba amethyst mine (held by Kariba Minerals Ltd in which Gemfields owns 50%, the balance being owned by the Government of the Republic of Zambia through ZCCM-IH) is returning to historic production levels (by volume) and demand continues to improve.
The quality and nature of the product supplied to the global markets has also improved significantly of late, delivering encouraging results. Kariba’s leading position within the global amethyst market remains unchallenged despite the difficulties that have been faced by the mine over the past few years, and demand for its products remains firm in both of its present primary markets, namely India and China.
Subject to the resolution of various discussions that are currently in place between Gemfields and the Government of the Republic of Zambia, a sizeable increase in the level of investment in this mine and associated marketing initiatives to further increase the level of global awareness and demand for its products is due to take place.

Objective:

While amethyst remains an ancient, beautiful and yet undervalued gem, increased consumer demand for amethyst and the improved performance of this division will be supported by the recapitalisation of the Kariba amethyst mine, improved production volumes and increased marketing and promotional support;