Message Mar 6 Aoû 2013 08:39

ZCCM-IH to determine Nkandabwe mine’s viability

By TRYNESS MBALE
THE ZCCM Investments Holdings plc (ZCCM-IH) plans to undertake a mining survey at Nkandabwe Coal Mines, formerly Collum Coal Mine, to determine its viability.
The survey follows the revocation of the mining licence of Collum Coal Mine by the Ministry of Mines, Energy and Water Development.
According to a statement availed to the Daily Mail recently, ZCCM-IH was granted a small-scale mining licence for the Nkandabwe Mine by the ministry following the cancellation of the Collum licence in February this year.
“ZCCM-IH intends to undertake surface and underground survey works at Nkandabwe Mine as soon as possible to help the mine come up with planning processes to determine the viability of the mine,” the statement said.
The survey, which is designed to establish baseline, elevations and other geodetic measurements, will include maintaining an accurate record of various underground tunnels and other mine features.
This is aimed at facilitating a well-planned and safe mining project.
Other issues in the study include the establishment of mine existing boundary beacons and demarcate boundary lines by bush clearance and installation of intermediate beacons.
The company is currently looking for a consultant to undertake the survey.
Last year, Government revoked the licence from Collum Coal Mine, a Chinese-owned company, due to violations of safety and environmental laws, and failure by management to pay mineral royalties.
ZCCM-IH is an investments holding firm in which Government holds 87.6 percent shares and the remaining 12.4 percent shares are held by private investors