Message Mar 11 Aoû 2015 13:27

State gives mine licence to Kasempa community

ESTHER MSETEKA, Kasempa
GOVERNMENT has handed over a large scale prospecting licence to Kasempa community to enable them manage mineral resources in the area to achieve development.
Minister of Mines, Energy and Water Development Christopher Yaluma said Government decided to issue the prospecting licence for Katokameema Mine to the community due to in-fighting that had erupted between Senior Chief Kasempa and Chief Ingwe over mining rights.
Mr Yaluma is optimistic that the model will enable the people of Kasempa get meaningful gains from the natural resources in their area and help create the much needed wealth, jobs and infrastructure.
During the handover ceremony of the community mine on Saturday, Mr Yaluma said Government has engaged ZCCM Investments Holdings Plc (ZCCM-IH) to provide guidance and expertise to Katokameema mine.
“This initiative is the first of its kind in Zambia and we will run a similar model where it is discovered that some chiefdoms due to their boundaries are sharing the mineral resources .We will support this initiative by providing checks and balance.
“I implore you to use the Katokameema prospecting licence being launched in compliance with the laws of this county so that it will be a model to be emulated by other chiefdoms in the country. A lot has happened between Senior Chief Kasempa and Chief Ingwe but we are happy that the two chiefs have resolved their difference and this is a very big step forward in developing Kasempa,” he said.
Earlier, ZCCM-IH chief executive officer Pius Kasolo said the company will be drafting a shareholders’ agreement in the next few weeks.
And acting district commission Mercy Kambita said with guidance from Government, Kasempa will not only become the food basket of the province but, the richest mining town in the country.