Message Lun 10 Aoû 2015 15:55

ZCCM-HI goes for Kasempa gold

Government has given the people of Kasempa a large scale prospecting mining license to enable them carry out exploration of minerals in the Katoka-meema area.

Mines Minister Christopher Yaluma says the first ever community prospecting license will help bring development in the district.

And Mr. Yaluma says government will ensure that the people of Kasempa are given a full mining license in the next three months to enable them start production.

The Minister urged chiefs Ingwe and Kasempa not to allow foreigners to bring divisions among them as it has been the scenario in the last three years.

He says ZCCM-IH will partner with the two chiefs to offer expertise in developing the mine.

Mr. Yaluma says this during the handover ceremony of the large scale prospecting license to the community.

He says time has come for indigenous Zambians to actively participate in mining activities for them to benefit from the mineral wealth the country is endowed with.

And the chiefs’ representative Webby Masikini praised the government for the gesture.

In a separate interview, ZCCM-Investments Holdings Chief Executive Office, Pius Kasolo says Katoka-meema mine has gold along with iron, cobalt and copper.

Dr. Kasolo says ZCCM-IH will invest in the mine and come up with a structure on how the mine should run.

He says ZCCM-IH has already drafted the shareholders agreement and memorandum of understanding.