Message Mar 13 Oct 2009 09:02

Chinese Collume Coal Mine bemoans lack of market for its pro

The Chinese Collume Coal Mine (CCCM) General Manager Cai Yue Zhong has bemoaned that lack of market for thousand tonnes of processed coal he says would be wasted if not purchased.

Mr Zhong told ZANIS in an interview that with the onset of the rains 20 thousands tones of Fines and five thousand tones of Peas and Nuts coal brands would be destroyed if not marketed.

He said in the past one week, customers have been failing to buy coal from the mine resulting in the reduction of coal production.
He appealed to government to assist in convincing Zambian companies that were buying coal from Zimbabwe to start buying from them.

He said the mine has had difficulties in selling the Fines as most customers were only interested in buying the type of processed coal that has Peas and Nuts.

“We are worried that with onset of the rains our coal will be wasted after investing so much in its production,” Mr Zhong said.

He appealed to government to assist in convincing Zambian companies that were buying coal from Zimbabwe to start buying from them.

Mr. Zhong said the workers were the most affected with lack of market because their income per month was reduced.

The General Manager noted that at times workers were told to be on break when the market for coal was affected because they could not keep on producing when they can’t sell it.

Maamba Collieries (MCL) Plants Manager Famous Kabwe also confirmed that the problem of market for Fines was also affecting them.

He said most companies such as Larfurge were getting their Fines from Wankie Coal Mine in Zimbabwe.

Mr. Kabwe said few companies in Zambia that were using Fines in their furnaces such as Ndola Lime were also getting it from Zimbabwe.

Vraiment fou que Ndola lime achete le charbon au zimbabwe...