YEP!-Nava Bharat buys Zambia mine stake

<<

Clint

Message Ven 25 Sep 2009 20:57

YEP!-Nava Bharat buys Zambia mine stake

Nava Bharat buys Zambia mine stake
Mine workers have not been paid for months and production has been hit
Utpal Bhaskar and C.R. Sukumar

New Delhi/Hyderabad: Yet another Indian firm is rushing into Africa. Hyderabad-based Nava Bharat Ventures Ltd (NBVL) is to spend a little over half a billion dollars to acquire a controlling stake in a government firm in Zambia that owns the largest coal mine in the country.

As part of the deal, NBVL will also have to set up a power plant and invest fresh money in the mine.

Though primarily conceived as a transaction that will earn the company more revenue by operating a mine and generating power abroad, it’s also an opportunity for NBVL to expand its global reach and earn additional revenue by selling surplus coal from this mine in adjoining markets.

The second global acquisition by NBVL, caution analysts, may prove to be tricky since it will also have to deal with labour problems and salary arrears.

The company won against rivals that included Vedanta Resources Plc, South Africa’s Londoloza Resources Corp., Borneo Mining SA, London-based Aldwych International Ltd and the Zambezi Consortium Ltd comprising investors from Mauritius and Zambia.

NBVL, which had some Rs1,168 crore of reserves as on 31 March, plans to fund the $550 million (Rs2,640 crore) acquisition with a 70:30 debt-equity ratio, said managing director P. Trivikram Prasad. “We plan to dilute our stake in the special purpose vehicle Nava Bharat (Singapore) Pte Ltd (NBS) to mobilize the necessary equity funds at an appropriate time,” he said.

The company acquired its first overseas asset, an Indonesian mining firm, in January through wholly owned subsidiary NBS.

The Zambian government had invited global bids, which closed in March, to privatize Maamba Collieries Ltd. The rider was that the winning company will also have to set up a 300MW power project, the fuel for which would be sourced from the coal mine, to meet the demand for power at the country’s copper mines.

“A consortium comprising NBS and a Zambian group bid against a global tender for a 65% equity stake in Maamba Collieries Ltd, a company held 100% by ZCCM IH, a government investment holding company of Zambia. The NBS consortium was chosen as the preferred bidder by ZCCM IH (ZCCM-Investment Holdings Plc),” G.R.K. Prasad, director (finance and corporate affairs) at NBVL, said over phone from Zambia on Thursday.

Apart from around $50 million to be paid to the Zambian government, setting up the power project will require an investment of around $140 million, and recapitalization of the coal mine and increasing coal production will require an investment of around $360 million.

Going by recent coal deals, if the reserves are not proven, the valuation of a mine is around 10-20 cents per tonne. For proven resources, it is 50-60 cents per tonne. Operational mines come with a much higher price tag of around $2-3 per tonne.

“Nava Bharat is on the verge of concluding a monumental deal with ZCCM-IH on Maamba Collieries to establish a coal power station,” Andrew Chipwende, director general of Zambia Development Agency, said in an email response.

“These are distress assets and there are a lot of liabilities. The coal will be mined and sold there,” said a person aware of the development, who did not want to be identified.

Workers at the mine have not been paid for months and production has been hit.

NBVL posted a net profit of Rs520.57 crore on sales of Rs1,350.05 crore in 2008-09. On a paid-up equity of Rs15.22 crore, the company’s reserves stood at Rs1,168.24 crore as on 31 March.

“The transaction is likely to be consummated by December 2009,” G.R.K. Prasad added.

Managing director Trivikram Prasad said, “The process is expected to take (a) couple of months and a purchase-cum-sale agreement with the Zambian government could be inked before the year-end. The priority would be on mining activities in the first phase. (The) power project would come up in the second phase and would take off within three years.”

At present, Zambia’s copper mines consume up to 60% of the country’s power generation of around 1,600MW, and many of them have suffered on account of nationwide power failure in January.

Analysts say coal mining costs are expected to rise due to demand pressures on equipment and human resources in particular, but the sector will still hold value for investors who choose to mine rather than purchase at prevailing market rates.

“A lot of Indian companies are making efforts to get into African markets, which is resource rich and is the market of the future,” notes Kuljit Singh, a partner at audit and consulting firm Ernst and Young.

The NBVL stock on Friday gained 4.27% to Rs379.50 at close of trading on the Bombay Stock Exchange. The exchange’s benchmark index, the Sensex, lost 0.53% to 16,693 points.

http://www.livemint.com/2009/09/2523232 ... s.html?h=B
« L'aventure n'existe pas. Elle est dans l'esprit de celui qui la poursuit, et dès qu'il peut la toucher du doigt, elle s'évanouit pour renaître bien plus loin, sous une autre forme, aux limites de l'imagination. »
( Pierre Mac Orlan )
<<

bingogo

Administrateur du site

Message Ven 25 Sep 2009 22:10

merci clint, ca fait du bien de voir que le GRZ

sort des news au début de la session parlementaire !

on avait peur que cette news ne vienne jamais car le GRZ, zccm-ih et nava bahrat étaient tous silencieux sur le sujet ..

Une excellente news pour nous qui valorise un peu plus les actifs de zccm...et qui montre encore une fois que la société est sous valorisée

550 M $ pour 65 %... qui se décompose à un droit d'entrée de 50 M pour le GRZ, 140 pour la centrale thermique et 360 pour la mine...

les projecteurs vont pouvoir commencer à se focaliser sur zccm-ih...

il ne manque plus que les comptes et la valeur des assets officielles.

Perso je m'attendais à ce type d'annonce qu'une fois que les comptes seraient validés...on doit être sur la bonne voir de ce coté là aussi..
<<

LesCrozes

Membre d'honneur

Message Ven 25 Sep 2009 22:46

YEP!-YEP!-YEP!-Nava Bharat buys Zambia mine stake

Voilà une excellente nouvelle!!!

On commençait à s'impatienter du long silence des différents acteurs. Certes Musama avait déclaré (de mémoire) qu'ils travaillaient et qu'ils ne diraient rien de plus tant que cela n'aurait pas abouti.

Je remarque que la part de ZCCM-IH dans ce nouvel actif est de 35% en conformité avec les annonces récentes du gouvernement.
N'oublions pas par ailleurs que ZCCM-IH, dans la définition de son mode de fonctionnement en tant que société d'investissement, est censée ne pas avoir la majorité dans ses actifs si ce n'est à titre transitoire.

Lors de la rencontre de Londres Lungu et Chikolwa avaient montré une grande fierté à propos de Maamba et avaient parus certains de l'importance de cet actif majeur.

Passer en l'espace de quelques jours de l'info "Maamba n'a pas payé ses ouvriers depuis quatre mois" à cette annonce qui va marquer le renouveau de la mine, voilà un bel exemple de froid-chaud.

J'espère qu'ils ont encore un certain nombre de bonnes nouvelles de ce gabarit à nous faire connaître dans les semaines et mois à venir.
Ce que l'on conçoit bien, s'énonce clairement, Et les mots pour le dire arrivent aisément. BOILEAU
<<

hubert

Message Sam 26 Sep 2009 09:37

Re: YEP!-Nava Bharat buys Zambia mine stake

Merci à tous de vos analyses intelligentes et claires.
<<

Clint

Message Sam 26 Sep 2009 14:30

Donc ,puisque nous avons su faire savoir notre mécontentemen

Donc ,puisque nous avons su faire savoir notre mécontentement à Mr Musama par le passé ,il serait juste de le féliciter pour cet accord . Un poto me l'a suggéré et nous sommes quelques uns à l'avoir fait .Pour lui démontrer que nous sommes fédérés,(et pour maintenir la pression) ,je vous encourage à faire de meme en signant Member of Phicube Club . Pour ma part ,je l'ai fait en ces termes :
OBJET :Congratulations to the Agreement on Maamba Collieries
"Dear Mr Musama,
After you have expressed my displeasure with your late publications, I must congratulate you for having led on Maamba Collieries, a participation agreement with the firm Nava Bharat. I hope that this agreement is only the beginning of a series of publications in the short term, allowing us to inform the European markets and its investors the true value of ZCCM-IH.
Sincerely.

XXXXXX XXXXXXX
Member of Phicube Club .
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Je vous rappelle son mail : corporate@zccm-ih.com.zm
« L'aventure n'existe pas. Elle est dans l'esprit de celui qui la poursuit, et dès qu'il peut la toucher du doigt, elle s'évanouit pour renaître bien plus loin, sous une autre forme, aux limites de l'imagination. »
( Pierre Mac Orlan )
<<

phbada

Administrateur du site

Message Sam 26 Sep 2009 15:46

je viens de lui adresser un mail moi aussi ..
<<

jbd48

Message Sam 26 Sep 2009 16:08

So did I...

De mon coté je vise chabby qui est mon point d'entrée "'préféré".

C'est une excellente nouvelle, même si 350 m$ rien que pour 65% de la mine, ca veut dire en gros pour nous 2,11 $ par titre rien que pour Maamba!!!!
(Je me plante, je rêve ou quoi????)

Plus ca va, mieux ca va LOL.

AAAHHHH le jour ou le puzzle va être fini et apparaitre à la face du monde....
Ah c'qu'elle est courue, la pêche, la pêche, ah c'qu'elle est courue, la pêche à la morue.
<<

bingogo

Administrateur du site

Message Sam 26 Sep 2009 17:46

réponse de lungu à mon email de hier soir

Dear

I acknowledge with thanks receipt of your e mail of the 25th September with respect to the ongoing negotiations on the proposed sale of some equity in Maamba Collieries Limited to Nava Bharat of India . Please note that the matter has not yet been concluded as the Boards of Zambia Development Agency, ZCCM -IH and the Cabinet of the Zambian Government must give their respective approvals. We shall certainly place an appropriate notice on our website through the Company Secretary no sooner than the said negotiations and approvals have been concluded and granted.

Best regards,

AJ Lungu

Sent: 25 September 2009 10:48 PM
To: musama; lungu; Chabby Chabala
Subject: Deal with Nava Barhat

Dear Mr MUSAMA
Dear Mr LUNGU
Dear all the board of ZCCM-IH

We would like to congratulate the board of zccm-ih to drive with succes the deal with nava barhat for maamba colleries.

We hope that this deal will be good for zambia and for zccm-ih.

With 35 % of the capital for zccm-ih, this partnership will be better than with the others foreign groups.

I is a good news for all the shareholders of zccm-ih

Thanks a lot
<<

Clint

Message Sam 26 Sep 2009 18:11

Bizarre cette prudence et cette réserve dans la réponse

Bizarre cette prudence et cette réserve dans la réponse de Lungu . J'ai continué à chercher et cette news n'a effectivement été publié que par Livemint....Tout se passe comme si le journaliste avait eu connaissance de cette info par une indiscrétion et qu'il aurait ainsi pris de vitesse la communication officielle. Toujours est il que le GRZ et le board sont mis devant le fait accompli .Va bien falloir une com officielle ....et rapide de préférence
( Pierre Mac Orlan )
<<

mgauthi4

Message Sam 26 Sep 2009 18:45

rien à rajouter

c'est parfait ..

de plus ca veut dire qu'il y a des journalistes qui font bien leur boulot et que si il y communication et présence journalistique c'est que le deal est très important pour le pays et pour ZCCM-IH bien evidement ...

wait and see ...
Suivante

Retourner vers About Maamba -Nava Bharat