Message Jeu 21 Avr 2011 14:24

Nava Barrat urged to respect labour laws

Minister of Mines and Minerals Development, Maxwell Mwale has warned Nava Barrat Limited, the new owners of Maamba Collieries Limited, to strictly observe Zambian labour laws and treat their employees properly.

Mr. Mwale said government was confident that Nava Barrat will revamp operations at the mine and employ more people.

He said the new owners of the mine should take into account government aspirations to give more jobs to Zambians especially those within Southern province.

He said the mines should work towards improving the lives of people in the province and contribute to the economic growth of the country.

Mr. Mwale said this after he toured Maamba Collieries Limited yesterday.

And Maamba Collieries Limited Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Mumba Kalunga disclosed that Nava Barrat has so far spent over US$26 million in rehabilitating the mine and getting it ready for full operations in September this year.

Mr. Kalunga told the minister that the company will spend a total of US$700 million in the first phase of the rehabilitation project.

He said the company was working hard to ensure that a new mine was completed soon to start full operations.

He explained that the mine has since paid almost all the outstanding debts it owed and retained 140 employees.

He added that the company will engage another 100 employees once full mining operations start.

Mr. Kalunga further said more people will be employed by the sub-contractors adding that once the three phases of the mining establishment have been completed, over 1,200 people will get jobs at the mines.

Nava Barrat owns 65 percent of shares in Maamba Collieries Mine while 35 percent is owned by the Zambia Consolidated Copper Mines Investment Holding (ZCCM-IH).