Message Dim 24 Nov 2013 12:52

Vedanta has mismanaged KCM

FOREIGN Affairs Minister Wylbur Simuusa has said that Vedanta Ministerial Resources has mismanaged Konkola Copper Mines (KCM) the once viable mine.

And the Minister has said Chingola will not be exposed to the Binani saga in Luanshya where over 3, 000 employees lost jobs and the municipality was left as a ghost town on the Copperbelt.
Meanwhile the Mr Simuusa has said that KCM has the most demotivated workforce and other interests group.

Speaking in Chingola at Classy restaurant on Friday night, Mr Simuusa said Vedanta has mismanaged the resources at KCM, the once viable mine.

“KCM has enough resources even this time; it is just the poor management at KCM which has resulted into higher operational costs. The upper ore body at Nchanga has more reserves of copper to give Chingola and the mine a life.

“KCM has unnecessarily attracted more costs standing at US$ 7, 500 per tone but if the company can reduce the costs to about $3, 500 per tone, production will continue,” he said.

Mr Simuusa who is Nchanga Member of Parliament said KCM can boom again if the mine can first motivate its workforce and later find a way of meeting up the expectations of other interested parties such as the community, Government, suppliers and contractors.

He said there is no mine that meets targets with a demotivated workforce.

The Minister said mining is the industry of targets, which requires proper care of the human capital which is the most valued asset of any country.

Mr Simuusa who is also PF Mines chairperson said KCM owe contractors and suppliers huge sums of money, the situation which will make the mine not having any local business being interested in doing business with it.

However, despite the challenges the mine is facing, the Minister said Chingola will not be faced with the Binani saga.

He said his Government is having the ear to the ground to ensure that the situation at KCM normalizes without much negative impact on the people of Chingola.

Mr Simuusa said his Government has appointed a team of experts to investigate the viability of the mines, and him as PF chairman of the mines, will study the report and advise accordingly using his expertise as the Mining Engineer.

And Chingola Chamber of Commerce and Industry (CCCI) president Freddie Musonda said Chingola is an economic giant that should not be allowed to undergo the Binani saga.