Message Lun 29 Oct 2012 15:28

KCM winds down KDMP shaft 4 mechanical works

KONKOLA Copper Mines (KCM) has completed mechanical works at the US$1 billion flagship Konkola Deep Mining Project (KDMP) shaft four in Chililabombwe, further boosting Konkola Mine’s production.

KDMP project manager Billy Sakala said yesterday that a major milestone was attained by installing the mechanised bottom shaft waste loading, hoisting conveying facility along with the service cage facility for miners, and material travel up to bottom shaft.

KDMP was formulated with the aim of transforming Konkola Mine’s use of world class technology, employing optimal cost of operation and increasing the mine’s output to 7.5 tonnes.

Mr Sakala said: “Shaft four mechanical works installation has been completed as per milestone schedule of September 30, 2012 and first trial load hoisting was carried out in the presence of an informal gathering.”

The KDMP shaft number four is the first shaft sinking project since independence in 1964.

KCM has sunk the shaft to a depth of 1,505 metres.

Mr Sakala said copper mining at KDMP was currently being done at a depth of 850 metres and 950 metres.

KCM has also scored successes in installing KDMP’s mechanical ore hoisting system and pump chamber.

“The mechanical completion of the ore hoisting system is in progress and will come to an end by January 31, 2013.

“The other milestone is the completion of 1,390 mls pumping system which is in progress and the installation progress is expected to be completed before the end of May, 2013,” he said.

The sinking of shaft four, which started in 2007 and completed in 2011, and the KDMP adoption and execution was set to increase the mine’s lifespan to 2035.

Mr Sakala pointed out that had it not been for KDMP, Konkola Mine’s lifespan was scheduled to come to an end by 2015.

KDMP was aimed at developing, dewatering and improving the production system at Konkola Mine, which was on the drawing board for more than 30 years.

He noted that the successful implementation of KDMP had seen KCM attain global best practice like total quality management, and deepening KCM’s mining footprint.

Mr Sakala added that by implementing KDMP, KCM was not only developing Konkola Mine but also dewatering a big area at the wettest mine in the world, which is also southern Africa’s biggest underground mine.