KCM awards workers 17% salary hike

<<

bingogo

Administrateur du site

Message Ven 27 Jan 2012 08:20

KCM awards workers 17% salary hike

...as lowest worker gets K3 million monthly basic salary

By JERRY MUNTHALI
KONKOLA Copper Mines (KCM) has awarded its workers a 17 percent salary rise and signed a new collective agreement with the Mineworkers Union of Zambia (MUZ) and the National Union of Miners and Allied Workers (NUMAW).
This means that the lowest paid worker will now get a monthly basic salary of K3 million with effect from January 1 this year.
KCM vice-president for human capital management David Kaunda signed the collective agreement on behalf of the mining company and MUZ president Oswell Munyenyembe and NUMAW president Mundia Sikufele signed for their unions during a ceremony held at Kitwe’s Sherbourne Lodge yesterday.
Mr Kaunda urged KCM workers to increase production so that the Vedanta Resources Plc owned mine can competitively sustain its operations.
“I am glad that we are signing this agreement today. The environment we have been operating in in terms of investment continues to be challenging. However, KCM strives to be a good employer and corporate citizen,” Mr Kaunda said.
And Mr Munyenyembe said KCM has set a precedent and urged all mining companies to follow suit.
He commended the Patriotic Front (PF) government for not interfering in the negotiations between management and the unions.
“These negotiations were not easy because there were a lot of expectations from our members. We appreciate KCM’s investment and so far, it is above US$2 billion but we expect you to look into the plight of your workers as you invest in these projects,” Mr Munyenyembe said.
And Mr Sikufele said negotiations with KCM management have not been easy because of high expectations from workers caused by the PF government’s slogan of ‘more money in your pockets.’
“It is my belief that this will be accepted and that it will help to improve conditions of service for our members,” Mr Sikufele said.
<<

mgauthi4

Message Ven 27 Jan 2012 08:45

Re: KCM awards workers 17% salary hike

on part de bas mais c'est un progrès ..

les autres vont suivre ...

Ce que cela coute n'est rien en regard d'une grève bloquant la production .....

CQFD

la mine va cracher plein pot

Retourner vers About Konkola KCM - Vedanta