Message Sam 27 Nov 2010 17:06

KCM commissions new KDMP machinery

By Bennet Simbeye

KONKOLA Copper Mines (KCM) has commissioned the mid shaft loading facility at its Konkola Deep Mining Project (KDMP), which is set to increase the Chililabombwe mine’s rock extraction capacity to four million tonnes until full completion of the project when production is expected to rise to 7.5 million tonnes of ore.

The company has also commissioned a crusher in KDMP shaft four that is combined with the mid shaft loading and hoisting, allowing for hoisting of up to 37 tonnes of ore at once from each of the two already functional hoists from just over 1000 metres below surface.

KDMP general manager Raj Kulkarni said yesterday that the commissioned facilities were a huge boost in the mine’s quest to achieve production of 200, 000 tonnes of finished copper in the next three to four years.

Mr Kulkarni said the developments were part of the US$1.6 billion that the company had invested in capital projects since 2004 and that once completed, KDMP would give a huge boost to underground mining in the country.

He said mid-shaft crushing, loading and hoisting, provided a unique operation that allowed continued sinking of the KDMP four shaft to the targeted 1,350 metres.

Mr Kulkarni said the same arrangement of crusher, loading and hoisting would be set up at the bottom of the shaft once completed.

The shaft’s capacity to hoist ore at once was the biggest the country had ever had and that it would boost the Chililabombwe mine’s production capacity.

KDMP construction manager Billy Sakala said the company had conducted the largest number of shaft sinking, with the expansion of old shaft and sinking of brand new ones.

Mr Sakala said some of the shafts allowed for the lowering of large equipment underground without dismantling it, while others were for ventilation and pipes.