Message Mar 10 Fév 2015 20:49

Miners can manage cost of production at KCM - MUZ

MINEWORKERS Union of Zambia president Chishimba Nkole says miners at Konkola Copper Mines have the capacity to make a significant turnaround in terms of managing the cost of production. And MUZ has noted an improvement in this year’s negotiations for better salaries and conditions of service between the union and Konkola Copper Mines. In a statement following the conclusion of protracted negotiations, Nkole implored mine management, union leaders and workers to enhance teamwork in order to take the company’s efficiency and productivity to higher levels. “Though we hoped for the best in this year’s negotiations, I must say there has been relative improvement compared to last year and this can be attributed to a better approach and commitment by the parties to listen to each other and put suggestions to good use,” Nkole stated. He further noted that this year’s negotiations were held under very difficult circumstances caused by internal production challenges as well as external factors. “Whilst we all understand that we can’t do much about the copper prices on the London Metal Exchange, we are convinced that with commitment by all stakeholders, we have the capacity to make a significant turnaround in terms of managing the cost of production,” he stated. “Gone are the days when workers were thought only to be on the receiving end of instructions to perform specific tasks because workers of KCM today have demonstrated that they qualify to be involved in the planning, strategising and execution of work. I am saying so because during the process of bargaining, the workers’ side of the team used to take time to seek suggestions and ideas from the general workforce and together with management’s response to the concerns, the bargaining teams concluded the talks amicably,” Nkole stated further. He stated that it was prudent for workers to have full information of the company’s operations for them to be able to negotiate properly. - See more at: http://www.postzambia.com/news.php?id=5 ... DGRls.dpuf