Message Jeu 30 Mar 2017 14:09

KCM reopens Nchanga mine

Konkola Copper Mines – KCM- has reopened its Nchanga underground mine in Chingola on the Copperbelt.
Minister of Mines Christopher Yaluma says the underground mine is now operating at full capacity. Mr. Yaluma says KCM management has implored advanced new methods of mining to extract ore from the underground mine. The Minister said the resumption of operations at Nchanga underground is a plus for the mining firm adding that Government expects miners who were laid off to be recalled. Meanwhile, the Mine Workers Union of Zambia -MUZ is delighted that KCM has restarted production at Nchanga underground. MUZ General Secretary Joseph Chewe said MUZ was initially opposed to the suspension of operations at Nchanga because the union believed the mine was still viable. Mr. Chewe said Chingola will now see more jobs, adding that KCM management has done well to finally formulate a plan for the Nchanga underground mine. And Government says it is making efforts to diversify the mining sector to encompass other minerals. Mines and Development Director Geological Survey Department Chipililauka Mukofu says this is to increase revenue, create wealth and employment. Mr Mukofu says Zambia despite being endowed with vast mineral resources has not realized the maximum benefits from the sector. He was speaking at the African, Caribbean, Pacific and European Union-ACP-EU development Minerals workshop in Livingstone. And ACP-EU Development Minerals Programme Manager Daniel Franks says it is high time Zambia concentrated on development minerals that can be processed and used locally. Dr. Franks says development minerals such as construction materials are more important to a country because they have a direct benefit to the economy.