Message Lun 19 Mar 2012 21:20

Kansanshi smelter ready in 2014

THE US$500 million First Quantum Minerals (FQM) smelter at Kansanshi Mine in Solwezi is set for completion in 2014 just in time to meet the increased copper production targets at one of Zambia’s largest copper mines.

According to an FQM statement, the new smelter, which will have capacity to process almost 400, 000 tonnes of copper and whose construction started during last year’s closing quarter, would be ready by 2014.

FQM president, Clive Newall said the smelter, with capacity to process 1.2 million tonnes of concentrates to produce more than 300,000 tonnes of copper annually, has commenced with key long lead equipment items tendered and detailed engineering design underway.

He said the mine ramp up had already been initiated and that the smelter would process copper concentrates produced at a soon-to-be expanded Kansanshi and at the company’s upcoming Sentinel project.

“Currently, First Quantum sends its copper concentrates to be processed at various Zambian smelters on the Copperbelt owned by other companies.

“With construction at Kansanshi to expand annual copper production capacity commenced, a need for a bigger smelter is inevitable,” he said.

Presently, Kansanshi produces about 250,000 tonnes of copper yearly and the expansion project is expected to raise annual output to about 400,000 tonnes by 2015.

Apart from copper processing, the smelter will produce more than 3,000 tonnes a day of sulphuric acid at almost zero cost, allowing Kansanshi to treat high acid-consuming oxide ores as well as leach some mixed ores.

The Sentinel project is meanwhile expected to initially produce 150,000 tonnes of copper in concentrates annually, rising to 300,000 tonnes.

Last year, gold production at Kansanshi Mine marginally grew by 2.7 per cent with production levels growing to 112, 289 ounces from 109,629 ounces recorded in 2010.

In contrast, production at the same mine dropped 0.4 per cent, to 230,295 tonnes produced in 2011, marginally lower than the 231,124 tonnes produced in 2010 and slightly below the production target of 250, 000 tonnes.