Message Lun 5 Mar 2012 21:18

Kansanshi miners resume work

Operations at Kansanshi mine in Solwezi have started normalising following a 15 per cent salary increment that management has offered unionised workers.

A check by Zambia News and Information Services -ZANIS at the mine on Monday morning revealed that some workers were seen reporting for work.

ZANIS further reports that the miners were being driven into the plant by staff buses while others were walking through the main gate.

Kansanshi Mine Workers Union of Zambia branch chairperson Billy
Mushoke confirmed in an interview that a few workers have reported for work on Monday.

Mr. Mushoke, however, says tripartite negotiations are still going on between the government, the two mine workers unions and Kansanshi mine management.

The mine workers at Kansanshi are represented by the Mine Workers Union of Zambia and the National Allied and Mine Workers Union.

And Deputy Commissioner of Police for North-western province, Hudson Namachila, says the situation at the mine plant was quiet and normal.

Mr. Namachila however says police are still keeping vigil along the
Kansanshi road and the mine entrance.

Unionised workers at Kansanshi mine have been on strike since Thursday last week demanding among other things a salary increment of at least 30 per cent and the mine to employ miners who are on contracts on permanent basis.

Earlier, the mine workers were offered 13 per cent increment by
management which they rejected.