Message Dim 19 Fév 2012 18:11

Revise surface right deal, Senior Chief Musele says

By KATONGO CHISUPA
SENIOR Chief Musele of Solwezi says the Surface Rights Agreement between his chiefdom and First Quantum Minerals for the multi-million dollar Trident mining project at Kalumbila should be revised.
He made the remarks despite the company having paid K3.2 billion in compensation to 98 percent of displaced farmers in exclusion zone one, according to Trident Resettlement and Community Engagement Manager Garth Lappeman.
The senior chief in his 45 minute monologue during a public hearing told the gathering that he would not cooperate with the mining giant if certain key issues were not addressed.
He said the tailings dam would not be built where it has now been designated because it will surround three villages.
Senior Chief Musele who looked extremely furious said there was serious need to address short comings regarding the US$1 billion copper mining project.
He told the gathering which was also attended by FQM country manager Kingsley Chinkuli that FQM was not being transparent in its dealings.
“We don’t know how you are operating. You are going against the agreement,” he said amid clapping from some Indunas.
He accused the mining company of changing its mentality towards him and his people after the agreement was signed.
The Chief said he wanted the mining firm to do the right things for the people.
“If you are going to have a grudge against me that’s your fault because it’s me who will bless this land,” he stated.
Senior Chief Musele warned that he would not work with the mining firm if the company was not going to consider what was agreed.
“We are not going to work with you. If the government want, it can go ahead with the mine not us,” he added.
He caused laughter when he said that he had agreed with the Indunas to curse the land so that the resources could go to waste if the mine owners did not cooperate with him.
He accused Trident mine of cheating that it was going to employ a lot of people and urged the company to be transparent.
He also said the people were not happy with compensation saying that, “Don’t say that everybody is happy, they are not. I appeal to the mine (owners)
to look into this issue so that everybody is happy.”
Displaced farmers have been K4 million per hectare as compensation.
And General Chinkuli said FQM was a responsible company which was in Zambia to stay.
He told the chief that the company would need time to seriously study the many issues which he had raised before coming back with solid answers.
“We have pledged partnership and we would like to create a win-win situation because there are three sides to the issue, the local community, the investor and government,” he said.
He said all parties will have to find a common ground through communication.