Message Mar 13 Oct 2009 07:54

Kansanshi Mine taps Solwezi River water By Times Reporter

Pas assez d'eau cette année !! lol

Kansanshi Mine taps Solwezi River water

By Times Reporter

KANSANSHI Mine in Solwezi in the North-Western Province has been forced to look for alternative sources of water for its operations because of insufficient water from its tailing dam caused by the hot dry season.

Kansanshi public relations manager, Godfrey Msiska said in Solwezi yesterday the move had prompted the mine to apply for a temporary water rights permit to tap water from the Solwezi River.

“Ordinarily, we do not need water from Solwezi River for the mine processing plant, as we rely on water from our tailings dam for this purpose. This source has not had sufficient water lately, due to the very hot season we are experiencing, and we were compelled to look elsewhere,” Mr Msiska said.

He was responding to a press query about how Kansanshi was allegedly tapping water from Solwezi River for use in the mines without getting authority from the Water Affairs Department.

“It is true we have been tapping water from the Solwezi River. We have water rights to tap water from the Solwezi River for secondary-tertiary use on the Kansanshi Golf Estate,” he said.

Mr Msiska said on the basis of its water rights over the Solwezi River water, Kansanshi assumed it could also tap water for use in the processing plant at the mine.

“However, after internal consultations, we realised this needed to be done separately and we have since lodged an application for a temporary permit with the Water Affairs Department to regularise this,” he said.

The mining company has denied it was constructing a water treatment plant to treat water from the Solwezi River, saying the Water Affairs Department in Solwezi had since verified the matter.

“As responsible corporate citizens, and of our own volition, we have been monitoring the water levels on the Solwezi River and can confirm that our tapping of water from that source has not reduced the water level on the river,” he said.

Meanwhile, Kansanshi said North-Western Water Supply and Sewerage Company has started supplying water to the Kansanshi golf estate for domestic use and the service was okay.

The supply of water was started after a resolution early this year of the standoff between Kansanshi Mine and the water utility company over provision of water to the estate.