Message Sam 1 Oct 2011 16:07

Kansanshi Mine advised to publicise aid for local authoritie

Kansanshi Mine advised to publicise aid for local authorities
By Correspondent
Sat 01 Oct. 2011, 09:20 CAT [152 Reads, 0 Comment(s)] Text size Print

A REPORT by UK-based London School of Economics and University of Leeds has noted that Kansanshi Mine in Solwezi employs a haphazard community investment system that underestimates community politics.

According to the report entitled ‘Seeking benefits and avoiding conflicts: A Community-Company Assessment (CCA) of Copper Mining in Solwezi', Kansanshi mine has taken a top-down approach to engaging with the community on corporate social responsibility projects instead of first liaising with the locals and finding out what they need.

The report advised that the mining company prioritise a more strategic approach that looks beyond traditional donor-recipient relationships toward actual collaboration and empowerment for the beneficiaries.

The CCA, commissioned last year and conducted in conjunction with the Catholic Relief Services, Catholic Diocese of Solwezi and Business Community Synergies also suggested that Kansanshi Mine publicise its contributions to local authorities to create transparency.

Government, especially at local government level, had been advised to take up its role as principal provider of social services to the local people rather than abnegate its responsibilities to Kansanshi Mine to dispel ambiguity in service delivery provision.

"In addition there is need for transparency and accountability in the council budgeting process. Stakeholder engagement in the local council budgeting is there in the buy-laws but has not been fully implemented. It should be communicated through the media to local stakeholders," the report states in part.

Solwezi Diocese Bishop Charles Kasonde called for co-existence among government, mining firms and local people in strengthening capacities and spreading benefits of mineral wealth to wider communities.

And Kansanshi Mine public relations manager Godfrey Msiska said at the same function that the mining giant had set aside K50 billion for corporate social responsibility for 2012 raising the company's total allocation to the sector to K80 billion since 2006.