Albidon puts Munali on care and maintenance

<<

LesCrozes

Membre d'honneur

Message Ven 21 Déc 2012 11:40

By: Esmarie Swanepoel - 21st December 2012

JOHANNESBURG (miningweekly.com) - ASX-listed Albidon has announced that it would put its Munali nickel mine, in Zambia, on care and maintenance, and has given all of the staff at its wholly owned subsidiary Albidon Zambia 30 days notice.

The miner said that a small number of staff would be re-employed to provide security and other essential services for the care-and-maintenance of the mine.

Operations at Munali have been suspended since November last year, as the operation delivered less-that-budgeted nickel recoveries, and global nickel prices continued to drop.

An Albidon delegation travelled to Zambia this week to engage with senior Ministerial officials regarding arrangements for the continuation of the suspension of operations, under a more formalized care-and-maintenance programme, and to update community stakeholders on the company’s current situation.

Albidon noted that there remained ongoing uncertainty around the company’s financial future, despite majority shareholder Jinchuan providing funding as necessary to support Albidon in its restructure.

The restructuring initiatives were set to include the reorganisation and restructuring of the existing finance facilities to reduce debt and align payments, attracting new strategic and institutional investors, as well as recruiting new independent directors and senior management.

The company’s securities remained in voluntary suspension.
Ce que l'on conçoit bien, s'énonce clairement, Et les mots pour le dire arrivent aisément. BOILEAU
<<

Laf1986

Message Ven 21 Déc 2012 11:48

Re: Albidon puts Munali on care and maintenance

Si je me rappele bien lorsque cela été arrivé pour une autre mine LCM

le gouvernement n'avait pas cherché un repreneur?

A voir ce que fera le gouvernement

AS Luanshya Copper Mine today kick-starts production 11 months after the mine’s operations suddenly came to a halt, the town’s residents from all walks of life have thanked the Government for ensuring that a suitable investor was given a chance to take over the mine after it was placed under care and maintenance.
The residents spoken to said they were anxious to see that the resumption of the copper mining activities start on a good note at the copper mine, which has for decades acted as the town’s lifeblood.
They said from the conduct of the mine’s new owners, the China Non-Ferrous Metal Company Group which took over the mine from its former owners, Enya Holdings, there was hope that the mine and the entire economy of the town would be resuscitated.
Luanshya Mayor, Andrew Kayekesi said the resumption of production at LCM was a blessing.
Mr Kayekesi said the massive capital investment in form of equipment worth millions of dollars and the mine’s continued paying of the hundreds of workers months before the actual commencement of production was a clear sign that the new mine owners were serious about investing in the mine and not merely reaping where they did not sow.
“We have hope that hundreds of Luanshya residents will now have a chance to be employed by the mines once again. Over 2,200 full-time employees were recruited before the mine started production.
‘‘Although more are expected to be recruited, we expect to see the number of workers to drastically increase after the Muliashi Open Pit Mine project starts next year,” he said.
The mayor said other sectors of the economy such as agriculture, tourism and food processing were expected to grow once partnerships between locals and foreign investors were created.
Luanshya District Commissioner, George Kapu paid tribute to President Rupiah Banda and the Government for their decision to bring in Chinese investors to re-open the mine.
“This has brought hope to the people of this town because we are all happy with what we have seen so far. As Government, we can now walk in the streets with our heads up,” he said.
Luanshya Business Development Association chairperson, William Chisoko said the private sector in Luanshya was impressed with the manner in which the new mine owners were handling the mine suppliers.
Luanshya District Pastors Fellowship chairperson, Morgan Kanjolo said mineworkers, contractors and the community in general were happy with the resumption of production at LCM.
Luanshya Copper Mine was closed early this year and placed on care and maintenance after global commodity prices fell on the international market.
Then mine owners, Enya Holdings said they were not ready to continue with copper production after operations were adversely affected by the global economic meltdown.

Retourner vers About Munali nickel mine - Albidon Zambia Limited