Message Lun 9 Jan 2012 21:25

Arrest contractor, Simuusa demands

SIMUSAABy ESTHER MSETEKA
MINES Minister Wilbur Simuusa has demanded for the arrest of the contractor who designed Albidon’s Munali Nickel Mine saying the bankable feasibility study of the mine was wrong, hence the reason the mine was always making losses.
Simuusa said the mine plan was wrongly done, hence the dangerous occurrence of the surface subsidence causing two large sinkholes near the south ventilation shaft.
“Government is taking strong exception to see the contractor who did the mine plan brought to book, the plan was not well done …no wonder you never achieved anything, the equipments you are using are also wrong. It’s like you were in a hurry to make money ,” Mr Simuusa said.
He said this during his tour at the troubled Munali Nickel Mine in Mazabuka last week.
Mr Simuusa said he was disappointed with the absence of senior officials who were reported to be in Perth, Australia, even when they were aware of his visit to the mine with his delegation.
The minister was accompanied by his deputy Richard Musukwa, permanent secretary Dr Victor Mutambo and acting director of mines Billy Chewe. Others were mines safety director Mooya Lumamba and ZCCM-Investment Holdings (ZCCM-IH) chief executive officer Mukela Muyunda.
And Albidon manager-holder Matthew Banda failed to give appropriate information and answers to the minister and the delegation.
Mr Banda, who had a tough time answering questions from the minister‘s entourage, could not give information on who the investor wanting to buy Albidon was, saying there were some technicalities involved.
He said Jixchua, a majority shareholder with 50 percent shares, wants to float 25 percent of its shares on the Lusaka Stock Exchange.
He ,however, refused to say how much money will be raised from the sale, saying he was not in a position to answer the question.