Message Jeu 23 Juin 2011 19:08

Mines Minister visits mine with ventilation problems

Mines Minister visits mine with ventilation problems
TIME PUBLISHED - Thursday, June 23, 2011, 6:20 pm

Mines and Minerals Development Minister Maxwel Mwale (right)
Mines Minister Maxwell Mwale has urged Mining companies in the country to be proactive in monitoring unexpected natural disasters in their mine areas.

Mr. Mwale advised the mining companies to regularly monitor earth movements in order to ensure the highest standards of safety at all mines in Zambia.

The Minister was speaking in an interview with ZANIS in Mazabuka today after touring Albidon Mine to assess the extent of the sink-hole which occurred at the mine last week.

The sink- hole with a diameter and depth of 50 meters occurred on June 16, 2011 near one of the mine’s shafts.

The Albidon Mine management took precautionary measures to ensure that the affected area is fenced off to avoid loss of lives.

The sinkhole affected the southern part of the mine saying mining activity on the northern part will continue once mine safety is guaranteed.

And Mathew Banda, the Mine manager, said underground operations have been halted due to the sinkhole but processing of stockpiled material continues in the mine’s plant.

Mr. Banda explained that no underground infrastructure had been damaged adding that infilling of the sinkhole is expected to commence immediately the Ministry of Mines issues a clearance
« L'aventure n'existe pas. Elle est dans l'esprit de celui qui la poursuit, et dès qu'il peut la toucher du doigt, elle s'évanouit pour renaître bien plus loin, sous une autre forme, aux limites de l'imagination. »
( Pierre Mac Orlan )