Message Mer 31 Oct 2012 18:51

Lubambe mine pumps $450m in concetrator

LUBAMBE Mine has invested US$50 million in the construction of a 2.5 million tonne capacity concentrator making total investments in mine to US$450 million.

Lubambe Mine general manager Gary Strong said the construction of the concentrator started last month and successfully completed the developed surface infrastructure and two shaft refurbishment marking the start of the initial production of 45,000 tonnes of copper per annum.

Mr Strong said yesterday in response to a press query that the development process and the mine’s ramp was expected to continue up to full production in 2015.

“Lubambe mine has started production on October 4 and it is expected that the mine will have an annual output of 45,000 tonnes of copper concentrates.

Copper concentrates serve as the raw material for smelters which refine it to produce commercial-grade copper,” Mr Strong said.

The US$ 450 million Lubambe Mine (previously Konkola North Copper Mine) is a joint venture between African Rainbow Minerals (ARM) of South Africa, Brazil’s leading mining company Vale, and Zambia Consolidated Copper Mines Investment Holdings (ZCCM-IH) which has a capacity to produce 2.5 million tonnes of copper per annum.

Mr Strong said Lubambe would in the first phase of the project produce 45,000 tonnes of contained copper in concentrate per annum for 28 years. A possible second phase – which provides for the exploitation of what is known as Area A South – could more than double this level of production.

“We started the process of breaking the rocks on schedule in August and the concentrator started two months ahead of schedule, at the end of September with first concentrate produced in early October. Full concentrator output will, however, only be in the second half of 2014,” he said.

He said development of moderately inclined access ways from the surface to mining levels for haulage of ore, materials, waste, workers, and equipment had reached an advanced stage.

“The project phase is now drawing to a close and we are now in ramp up phase. Life of the mine is however expected to be 28 years,” he said.

He expressed optimism that Lubambe Mine would meet its production target.

Mr Strong said Lubambe Mine’s production capacity was 2.5 million tonnes of ore per annum starting with an initial production of 45,000 tonnes of copper per annum.

Mr Strong said Lubambe Mine’s production capacity was currently 2.5 million tonnes of ore per annum starting with an initial production of 45,000 tonnes of copper per annum.

Lubambe Mine has in its production stage recruited hundreds of workers and manpower peaked at 2,600 (including all contractors) during construction but would employ approximately more that 1,500 full time miners.

Lubambe Mine is situated in Chililabombwe District and its shareholding is currently 40 per cent for ARM, Vale 40 per cent and ZCCM-IH 20 per cent.

The mine which started as Konkola North Copper Mine changed its name last July which was similar to that of its Konkola Coppper Mine (KCM) and the press and public often confused the two. 

It is important for both mines to establish and maintain individual identities as they have separate shareholders.