Message Jeu 19 Mai 2011 07:33

New C/B mine creates 1,500 jobs

Thursday, May 19, 2011

By ALEX NJOVU

GOVERNMENT says the initial stage of the development of the Konkola North Copper Mine (KONNOCO) in Chililabombwe is expected to create over 1,500 jobs.

The development of KONNOCO has begun at a cost of US$400 million, and it is projected that the mine will have an annual production capacity of 2.5 million tonnes of ore when it starts operating next year.

Chililabombwe district commissioner Timothy Musonda said in an interview in Kitwe yesterday the investor will also relocate 1,900 residents of Poor People of Zambia township to an area near Konkola Township.

“Over 1,500 jobs have been created in the initial stages of the development of the KONNOCO mine in Chililabombwe. The investor will also relocate about 1,900 people from Poor People’s compound and modern houses will be built for them,” he said.

Mr Musonda said people are happy with development projects being implemented in Chililabombwe.

He said Chililabombwe has witnessed massive development under President Banda’s administration.

Mr Musonda said KONNOCO is expected to provide more jobs to the local people through companies supplying goods and services to the mine.

Brazilian mining giant Vale, through its joint venture with African Rainbow Minerals (ARM) of South Africa, launched the US$400 million KONNOCO project last year.

“The construction works started in August 2010, and the first copper ore extraction is scheduled for 2012 while full production is due in 2015.The construction and development of the mine will take approximately 27 months,” he said.

Mr Musonda urged Chililabombwe residents to support President Banda in his quest to develop the country.

He said Government has demonstrated commitment to developing the country through the implementation of prudent policies that are benefiting the people.