Message Sam 30 Mar 2013 19:05

MOPANI Copper Mines

MOPANI Copper Mines (MCM) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with four mine unions to promote safety, health and environmental issues affecting the mining outfit.
MCM chief services officer Moses Chilangwa said the MoU signing symbolised commitment to issues affecting the mining industry and would enhance health, safety and environmental commitments in all mining operations.
Mr Chilangwa said MCM values the role that workers’ unions played in the implementation of various health and safety programmes which contributed to the reduction in the number of injuries from 290 in 2005 to 87 in 2002.
“Our aim is zero harm and we are confident that by working together we can achieve even better results. The purpose of the MoU is to set out principles, conditions and procedures on health, safety and environmental issues to effectively implement International Standards
Organisation (ISO) 14001:2004, OHSAS 18001:2001 and other internationally recognised management systems,” he said.
MCM signed the MoU with the Mine Workers Union of Zambia, National Union of Miners and Allied Workers (NUMAW), United Mine Workers Union of Zambia, Zambia Union of Nurses Organisation.
“This collective commitment by MCM and the union leaders sets inmotion a very transparent process by which we shall handle matters of health, safety and environment,” he said.
NUMAW national treasurer Saul Simujika said it was pleasing for MCM to acknowledge the role of the unions as stakeholders in the mining industry and in promoting the interest of the workers.
Mr Simujika applauded MCM for reducing incidents of mine accidents at the workplace and that other players in the sector should emulate the mining firm and that unions should provide checks and balances to activities taking place in the mining industry.
He said it rare that unions would agree with managements on labour related issues affecting the workers and that MCM should be saluted for encouraging dialogue between itself and the unions.