Message Mer 17 Aoû 2011 10:32

Glencore plans to complete sulphur dioxide emissions

Glencore International plans to complete sulphur dioxide emissions at Mufulira mine
Wednesday, 17 Aug 2011

Glencore International AG of Switzerland plans to invest USD 80 million to complete the sulphur dioxide emissions at Mufulira mine unit in Zambia Mopani and constructing a sulphuric acid plant.

Mr Emmanuel Mutati outgoing CEO of Glencore International said that the investment is intended to increase to 97% emission capturing compared to no sulphur dioxide capture at all for decades before privatization. The world class environmental performance will have been achieved in line with the program agreed with the Government at privatization. The work is due to be completed by 2015.

Mr Mutati said that sulphur capture equipment is being installed as part of a general modernization of the smelting complex. This redevelopment is being conducted in a planned and logical manner, with new emissions capture equipment installed as each phase of the plant renewal is completed. This approach has enabled operations to continue avoiding a shutdown and resultant loss of employment which was a key requirement of the Government.

According to the company, sulphur capture equipment installed to date currently captures about 50 per cent of all sulphur dioxide emissions from the smelting complex. This equipment, the first at Mopani since the facility was first constructed in the 1930s, was installed together with the new ISA smelter and matte settling furnace.

Mr Mutati said that “The re development of Mopani has been one of the toughest engineering challenges ever tackled in Zambia but we have made great progress towards our goal of creating a world class operation. We have increased production, secured employment, and significantly reduced sulphur dioxide emissions that had been ongoing for decades before privatization. We are now moving into the last phase of this work, meeting the commitments agreed with the Government to create an asset that will deliver value to Zambia for decades ahead and one that achieves world-class environmental performance by 2015.”

Mopani Copper Mines, Zambia’s second largest copper producer recently announced plans to invest about USD 320 million in extending the lifespan of Nkana mine by more than 20 years and increase copper output. The company’s board recently approved the recapitalization of the Nkana mine project in Kitwe to facilitate the Synclinorium project, a new shaft with associated infrastructure that will extend the life of the Nkana mines by 25 years.

A 7 meters diameter main shaft and 6 meters diameter ventilation shaft will be sunk to a depth of 1,277 meters, providing Mopani with access to some 115 million tonnes of ore at a grade of 1.9% copper and 0.09% of cobalt. The new shaft will increase ore production at Nkana from 3.4 million tonnes per annum at Nkana to around 5.1 million tonnes per annum by 2018. Limited hoisting of ore may begin as early as 2015.

It is envisioned that with the USD 320 million investment in the project, the Nkana operations will continue beyond the current expected depletion dates of the existing reserves at Mindola North, South Ore Body and Central shafts of 2015, 2017 and 2018 respectively, securing some 3,000 jobs.

Mopani Copper Mines plc is a Zambian registered company owned by Carlisa Investments Corporation and First Quantum Minerals Limited and ZCCM-IH. The Zambian government retains a significant minority interest in Mopani through its subsidiary body, Zambia Consolidated Copper Mine Investment Holdings with. minority shareholders spread throughout the world in various locations. Mopani produces and sells copper and cobalt to the international market. The Company operates mines in the towns of Kitwe and Mufulira, which are located on the Zambian Copperbelt.
Ce que l'on conçoit bien, s'énonce clairement, Et les mots pour le dire arrivent aisément. BOILEAU