Message Ven 6 Aoû 2010 06:22

Ndola Lime to export 6,000 tonnes of lime By NANCY MWAPE ND

Ndola Lime to export 6,000 tonnes of lime
By NANCY MWAPE

NDOLA Lime Company limited plans to export over 6000 tonnes of hydrated lime to Malawi this year once the new kiln is commissioned.

Zimbabwe, Malawi and the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) are Ndola Lime’s major export markets.

The company has acquired new kiln that will operate on both heavy fuel and coal.

In an interview at the just ended 84th Agricultural and Commercial Show of Zambia in Lusaka, Ndola lime quality assurance analytical services manager Weston Mwape said prospects for the company are bright.

“The future for Ndola lime is bright especially after the new kiln comes on line. This will enable the company to expand production,” he said.

Mr Mwape said current production level for hydrated lime is 900 tonnes per day and the new kiln will add 500 tonnes of lime per day.

He said a new hydrator with capacity of 15 tonnes per hour has been acquired with support equipment in the form of crushing plants and dust abetment equipment.

“One of the major cries of the people of Ndola has been pollution of the environment.

We have rehabilitated the dust abetment system at a cost over US$ 3.5 million to be commissioned,” he said.

Mr Mwape said all the kiln dust generated is stored and sold to the mines in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and locally at Konkola Copper Mine.

Ndola lime’s major products that are exported include quick lime, kiln dust and hydrated lime.

He said currently, quick lime production is at 900 tonnes per day and will be increased to 1400 tonnes once the new kiln is operational.

He said kiln dust is being used in Lubumbashi at the mines while quick lime is used at Katanga mine and Luanshi mine.

He said hydrated lime is also on high demand in DRC for domestic purpose.

“Malawi is predominantly hydrated lime used for domestic and industrial use (sugar refining). There is new Uranium mine opening in north Malawi that hopes to buy its hydrated lime in Zambia,” he said.

He said Zimbabwe also uses hydrated lime in water treatment plants

Ndola Lime started operations in 1931, strategic established to cater for the mining industry that were opening and developing fast.

From 1962 to 1997 it became a subsidiary of Zambia Consolidated Copper Mine (ZCCM).

It was later advertised for privatisation and from 2006, there was a strategic decision to reposition the company following the recapitalisation project embarked on that required a new kiln.