Message Mer 2 Déc 2009 15:12

LCM to resume operations on December 22

LCM to resume operations on December 22, says envoy - By Chibaula Silwamba - Wed 02 Dec. 2009
CHINESE Ambassador to Zambia Li Quiangmin yesterday disclosed that Luanshya Copper Mines (LCM) will be officially launched on December 22 to resume full capacity operations.

In an interview in Lusaka, Ambassador Li said he was happy that PF Roan member of parliament Chishimba Kambwili had U-turned on his earlier opposition to Chinese investors to take over LCM.

"I will be very glad to tell you we have discussed this; on the 22nd of this month, just before the Christmas Day, we will organise a big ceremony to launch the operations of Luanshya Copper Mine. I think this is very big gift from your government and the Chinese people to present to our Zambian brothers and sisters. This will encourage more and more foreign investment to Zambia," Ambassador Li said. "People still believe Zambia is still one of the most successful models for economic development."

He observed that Zambia's economic development could reach more than six per cent this year.
Ambassador Li said Chinese investors made big and positive growth to the Zambian economy this year.

"For the trade balance, Zambia is more favourable; you are exporting much more than you import from China. There are few African countries like Zambia that have this kind of favourable trade balance," Ambassador Li said.

He said the Munali Nickel Mine in Mazabuka, which was taken over by a Chinese firm, would resume operations in January next year.

"This will create more job opportunities for local people, especially for Mazabuka area and Southern Province. This will be beneficial to the local people," Ambassador Li said. "We don't just employ Zambians to do simple jobs but we also train them in technical jobs."

He said Chinese investment in manganese mining in Luapula Province was progressing well.
And Ambassador Li said China was willing to finance the construction of the Mongu-Kalabo road.
He said the Zambian government had approached China to help construct bridges and tar the road linking Mongu and Kalabo in Western Province.

"This road is very important because it can connect your country with your very important neighbour Angola because Angola market is very big. In the Western Province and North Western Province you have so many agriculture products; you need to export to Angola. You are limited because of transportation," Ambassador Li said. "So your government asked the Chinese government to give concession loan to build the Mongu-Kalabo road. We asked the Chinese company to do a feasibility study and the result is very positive."

He said a Chinese company, CACTIC, would work on the Mongu-Kalabo road.
"China government is very positive and willing to finance the road project," said Ambassador Li.

from < http://www.postzambia.com/post-read_art ... cleId=2685 >
Ce que l'on conçoit bien, s'énonce clairement, Et les mots pour le dire arrivent aisément. BOILEAU