Message Jeu 19 Nov 2009 08:51

Kambwili U-turns on Chinese investors By STANSLOUS NGOSA O

Kambwili U-turns on Chinese investors

By STANSLOUS NGOSA

OUTSPOKEN Roan Member of Parliament (MP) Chishimba Kambwili, who was a vocal opponent of Chinese investors, has been awarded a contract to supply goods and install some equipment at the re-opened Chinese-owned Luanshya Copper Mines.

Mr Kambwili, who was opposed to having Chinese investors take over the then closed Luanshya Copper Mine, confirmed that his company had been awarded a contract by China Non Ferrous Mining Corporation (CLM) and he extolled the new owners for the massive investment.

The MP’s company, called Roan Bread, was among the 20 Luanshya-based companies awarded contracts to supply goods and services to the mining firm.
About 200 Copperbelt companies have benefited so far.

Mr Kambwili said in an interview that it would be unreasonable for him not to appreciate the huge investment the mining firm had made in Luanshya.

When asked why he was against the Chinese investors when the Government announced that the Chinese would take over the mining firm, Mr Kambwili responded: “I was doing my job to ensure that the Government brings in reputable investors.”

Mr Kambwili said he was overwhelmed by the huge investment CLM had brought into Luanshya even before beginning production of copper.

“It will be unreasonable for the area Member of Parliament to demonise the investments the Chinese have brought to Luanshya Copper Mines, I am impressed, I actually inspected rehabilitation works last week,” Mr Kambwili said.

He said apart from the huge investment, he was impressed with the salaries the miners were getting.

The lowest paid in G7, according to the CLM salary scale for the surface workers, is K1.2 million and K1.4 million for those working underground.

He said paying the workers such amounts before resuming production and the sale of any copper is testimony that CLM was in Zambia for a substantial period of time to enable the economy of the town and people to improve.

Mr Kambwili said the economy of Luanshya was destined for a boom because of the huge investment the mining firm had brought into the country.

On being awarded a contract, Mr Kambwili said it was awarded to his company.

“It is my company that has been given a contract not as Chishimba Kambwili MP, my company applied for the bid and it was picked like any other company that has been given contracts.

“You can even ask the Chinese, they also don’t even know that my company is one of those given contracts,” he said.

He said there was nothing sinister about being awarded a contract because he had been in that business since 1993 and had dealt with mining firms.

And sources at CLM said Mr Kambwili had been given a contract to supply Maheu drink, and he was also contracted to install some equipment at the concentrator where rehabilitations were still going on.

About US$90 million was earmarked for all the rehabilitation works and so far S$70 million had been spent.

CLM has also embarked on the rehabilitation of an eight-kilometre road leading to Muliashi Copper site at a cost of K9 billion and half of the road has since been tarred.

CLM vice-general manager Gao Xiang said 200 local companies had registered with the mining firm to supply various items.

He said he was impressed with the support CLM had received from the both central and local government levels, the community and the mining unions.

“We have received tremendous support from the people here and more especially the peace in the area is nice for business,” Mr Gao said.

Production is scheduled to start on December 15 after rehabilitation works on the concentrator are completed.