Message Mar 10 Nov 2009 12:26

Muliashi mine design plan ready

CHINA Nonferrous Mining Company (CNMC) says the design plan for Muliashi open pit mine in Luanshya is expected to be ready this month.

CNMC public relations officer Sydney Chileya confirmed in Luanshya yesterday that Chinese experts are finalising the design plan.

“The design for Muliashi open pit mine will be ready this month. Experts working on the plan have almost completed the work,” he said.

Mr Chileya said CNMC will spend US$300 million as investment capital to develop Muliashi mine whose development works stalled following the pull-out of Enya Holdings early this year.

Mr Chileya said the company has since embarked on tarring the 8-kilometre stretch to Muliashi mine, which once operational, will create thousands of jobs.

“All roads are being worked on within Baluba mine and the road that leads to Muliashi is being tarred,” he said.

And Mr Chileya said CNMC has started utilising the 12 dump trucks that were acquired at a cost of US$3 million last month to boost operations at Baluba mine.

Mr Chileya said development is advancing well at Baluba and production is scheduled to start on December 15, 2009.

He said a new leach plant will also be constructed in Luanshya to boost mining activities.

Luanshya Copper Mine was placed under care and maintenance in January this year by Enya Holdings following the slump in copper prices on the international market.

The decision resulted into loss of 1,749 jobs at the mine. So far 1,730 jobs have been created.
Government is the minority shareholder with 15 per cent shareholding, while CNMC has 85 per cent shares.