Message Dim 1 Nov 2009 08:26

LCM will resume operations before 2010 - Chinese envoy By Ch

LCM will resume operations before 2010 - Chinese envoy
By Chibaula Silwamba
Sun 01 Nov. 2009, 04:00 CAT [59 Reads, 0 Comment(s)]

Text size
Print
CHINESE Ambassador to Zambia Li Qiangmin has said Luanshya Copper Mines (LCM) will resume operations before the end of this year.

In an interview on Thursday at the movie reception of the 45th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relationship between China and Zambia, Ambassador Li said Chinese investors were the most serious in Zambia.

"During the time of global economic crisis, Luanshya Copper Mines had problems and people lost jobs. The Zambian government invited the Chinese investor to take over Luanshya Copper Mine. After serious investigations we decided to takeover Luanshya Copper Mine," Ambassador Li said.
He said over 2, 000 jobs would be created when it resumes operations.

"As the information I got, before the end of this year Luanshya Copper Mine will be officially opened. Over US $ 400 million has been invested in that mine," Ambassador Li said.

Ambassador Li said the Munali Nickel Mine takeover by a Chinese firm was slightly delayed by legal technicalities.

"On Munali Nickel Mine there are some legal procedures because this mine has to be transformed from Albidon. As soon as they finish this legal procedure, the Chinese company can immediately start operating it by end of this year or beginning of next year," Ambassador Li said.

In his address, Ambassador Li said China and Zambia enjoyed longstanding friendship.
And information minister Lt Gen Ronnie Shikapwasha commended China for its unwavering support to Zambia during the latter's difficult times.

Lt Gen Shikapwasha said over the last 45 years, Zambia and China had cooperated in agriculture, communication, transport, education, manufacturing, health, information, broadcasting infrastructure development, mining, energy, defence, cultural exchanges and other sectors.