Message Jeu 17 Mai 2012 13:52

Muliashi churns out 400 tonnes copper

Muliashi churns out 400 tonnes copper

By Moffat Chazingwa – CNMC Luanshya Copper Mines (LCM)’s Muliashi Open Pit Mine has realised an initial production of 400 tonnes of copper cathode since mining commenced last month.

However, the projected target at the US$400 million mine using two stream mining methods, heap leach and agitation leach, is 2,300 tonnes monthly and 42,000 tonnes annually.

This came to light when Finance and National Planning Minister Miles Sampa toured the mine on Tuesday.

Muliashi Mine has created jobs for 320 direct employees while the contractor, 15 MCC engaged to run the mine, had employed more than 500 workers.

CNMC LCM deputy chief executive officer (CEO) Robert Kamanga said the company had received a new lease of life following the buying off of the mine by CNMC in 2009 where 2, 600 jobs had been created.

“Over $400 million has been spent in the development of the Muliashi mine, which is now ready and is only waiting for official opening by President Sata,” Mr Kamanga said.

Mr Kamanga described the Muliashi project as a marked success, because its development was six months ahead of schedule.

He, however, said $70 million had been spent in rehabilitation of the Baluba Mine, the other mine owned by the company.

Mr Sampa said Zambia is deriving sufficient benefits from the investment in the mining industry.

He expressed happiness with the levels of investment going into the mining industry in Zambia.

The deputy minister, who wrapped up his two-day Copperbelt familiarisation tour of the mines with a visit to Muliashi Mine in Luanshya, brushed aside insinuations by some sections of society that the investment in the mines was not benefiting Zambians.

Mr Sampa said to the contrary, investment in the mines was contributing significantly to the welfare of the people of Zambia through employment and income to Government.

“I wanted to familiarise myself with the operations of the mine as they have contributed greatly to the Gross Domestic Production(GDP) of the country’s economy because what we want to do is to enhance income coming to the national treasury as you know it is the same money that goes towards building schools, poverty alleviation and so on,” Mr Sampa said.

He expressed happiness with the amount of investment in the mining sector and that was confident going forward that income contribution to Government would drastically increase.

Mr Sampa had noted after touring the mines that investors in the sector were not there just to make their profit but were truly committed as evidenced in their long-term plans which were backed by huge investment.

Mr Sampa’s tour of the Copperbelt saw him visit Kansanshi Mine in Solwezi, before touring Konkola Copper Mines (KCM), the Multi-Facility Economic Zone (MFEZ) in Chambishi and Non-Ferrous Mine Africa Company (NFCA).
Ce que l'on conçoit bien, s'énonce clairement, Et les mots pour le dire arrivent aisément. BOILEAU