Message Lun 9 Jan 2012 08:18

Muliashi Mine starts copper oxide stock-pile

Copper_cathodeBy NKWETO MFULA
CHINA Non-Ferrous Metals Mining Corporation Luanshya Copper Mine (CLM) is stock-piling copper oxide at Muliashi Open Pit Mine following the blasting that commenced last week.
The CLM says it has spent US$290 million from the US$370 million earmarked for construction of Muliashi Mine.
CLM head of public relations and local business development Sydney Chileya said the processing of the copper oxide will start once the company completes the construction of SX section, which comprises solvent extraction and electro-weaning.
He said in an interview yesterday that blasting started after the mine safety department approved CLM blasting application. Mine safety officials also inspected the three open pits at Muliashi Mine.
“Our first blast was done last week and we are stock-piling copper oxide in readiness for production,” he said.
Mr Chileya said the company is awaiting the completion of construction of SX section adding that once the SX is completed the stock-piled copper oxide will be fed into the plant to produce copper cathode.
“The construction of the SX section is expected to be completed end of this month,” he said.
He said the clashing, milling and decantation plant has already been completed.
Muliashi Mine comprises two major sections, that is open pit and the treatment plant.
The production capacity of the treatment plant is 41, 000 metric tonnes per year, which translates into 2, 500 metric tonnes per month.
Mr Chileya said Muliashi has created 1, 200 jobs during its construction stage, saying the number will go up to 1, 500 direct jobs upon completion.
“There will be some other spin-off jobs that will be created through contractual jobs…the figures will be above 1, 500 jobs,” he said.