Message Lun 12 Déc 2011 18:45

Luanshya

nvestment, China Relations Positive

LUSAKA, Zambia, Dec 12, 2011 (Dow Jones Commodities News via Comtex) -- Luanshya Copper Mine, a unit of China Non Ferrous Africa Corp., may consider increasing its investment portfolio in Zambia due to the Zambian government's willingness to embrace foreign investors, including China, said a company representative.

"We have no doubt that the current Zambian government seeks to work with investors, especially China to develop its economy and given the goodwill, we are willing to more than double our investment," Luanshya Copper Mine spokesperson Sydney Chileya said by phone Monday.

Recently, the Zambian government hosted a luncheon for Chinese businesses operating in Zambia, while president Michael Sata later sent former Zambian leader Kenneth Kaunda to the Asian country to consolidated the bilateral relationship existing between the two countries.

The Mulyashi mine is planning to create more than 2,500 jobs, primarily for Zambians, and the 250 Chinese expatriates currently working at various sections of the mine are expected to be reduced to 40 by next month.

-By Geoffrey Sinkamba, contributing to Dow Jones Newswires; jeff.kapembwa@gmail.com

(END) Dow Jones Newswires

12-12-11 1115ET