Message Mer 15 Juin 2011 07:28

China nonferrous makes headway in finalization of Mulyashi o

China nonferrous makes headway in finalization of Mulyashi open pit mine in Zambia
Wednesday, 15 Jun 2011

China Non Ferrous Metals Africa Corporation, owners of the USD 400 million Mulyashi Greenfield open cast mine in Zambia are on course to start mining copper in Africa’s rich producer by the year end.

Several infrastructures at the mine site, including the acid plants, offices as well as reaching the copper ore body have reached an advanced stage to enable the miner complete and commission the much touted open pit mine in Zambia by December 2011.

Ms Sydney Chileya spokesperson said that various efforts have been intensified to ensure the project remained on course with various accessories having arrived at the mine site awaiting engineers to undertake their work and ensure the project takes off.

Mulyashi Copper Mine when completed will contrite more than 40,000 tonnes of finished metal per annum in addition to 60,000 tonnes that is expected from the rehabilitated Baluba copper mine, the mine’s oldest part which started operations in 1934, making one of the oldest in the country.

Ms Chileya said that we have done most of the areas that needed attention and we are on course to ensure that the project starts off as scheduled. China Non Ferrous Metals Corporation, also owners of Chambishi underground mine and 150,000 tonne Chambishi Copper Smelter are determined to ensure that the planned completion and commissioning of the Greenfield’ open cast mine in Luanshya is achieved by December 2011.

She said that efforts have been stepped up by management to ensure that the open pit was completed and operational by December this year adding that several materials needed to complete the construction of the project have arrived in the country although some have delayed.

Luanshya Copper Mine, which owns Mulyashi 100% has to date removed more than 14 million tonnes of earth from about 15 million needed to reach the copper ore body under the ground where it seeks to produce 40,000 tonnes of finished copper annually.

Ms Chileya said that we are on schedule and so far we have done 12 million tonnes of earth. We are moving steadily and we are optimistic that production at Mulyashi should commence soon. Luanshya mine was bought from government at USD 50 million after previous owners, Enya Holdings abandoned the mine at the height of global recession in 2008 which affected the metal prices.

Luanshya mine, set up in 1936 operates Baluba underground mine, which produces about 60,000 tonnes of finished copper annually. After some rehabilitation at Luanshya Copper Mine at more than USD 4.5 million, Baluba mine is expected to increase out-turn of the metal to 80,000 per annum.

China Non Ferrous Metals Africa Corporation’s efforts to increase investment in Zambia have pleased the government which seeks to make Zambia a stable and reliable Africa’s copper producing leader. China Non Ferrous seeks to increase employment levels for Zambia to 2,500 added with the investment in excess of USD 400 million, which will undoubtedly rekindle the mining life on the copper region of Zambia.

Mr Maxwell Mwale mines miner of Zambia, during a tour of the mine on April 26 was happy at the progress made at the once closed Luanshya mine adding that more local people will be employed once production begins at Mulyashi mine. He noted that the country was coming from a situation where more than 13,000 jobs were lost during and after the global recession because of the closures and that the establishment of more than 2,500 jobs at the mine was welcome development.

The creation of 500 jobs at the Mulyashi’s Luanshya mine project was good for government adding that a further 1,000 people will be employed when the mine begins full production at the end of the year. Zambia’s statistics indicate that 44,000 jobs have been created in the mining and copper industry in recent years, spurred by good government policies that have attracted investment.

Mr Luo Xiangeng CEO of Luanshya Copper Mine said that the mine is expected to invest more than USD 270 million in Milyashi mine once the project is completed and produce 40,000 tonnes of finished copper per annum. About 700 people are working during the construction period. Government is pleased at the revival of the mining operations at Luanshya open pit, having stagnated for almost 30 years without taking off ground.

Zambia’s copper production has in recent years increased from 650,000 tonnes per annum to 900,000 and is poised to more than double to 1.5 million tonnes per annum, spurred by increased investment in the sector. According to data, Zambia would probably produce 5 million tones in about five years with the planned investment by among other miners, Vale SA of Brazil, owners of Konkola North Ore body and forecast to produce an initial 45,000 tonnes per year.