Parlement- questions sur la valeur de LCM - 30 sept

Tuesday, 30th September, 2009
Tuesday, 29 September 2009
NATIONAL ASSEMBLY OF ZAMBIA

FOURTH SESSION OF THE TENTH ASSEMBLY

ORDER PAPER - WEDNESDAY, 30TH SEPTEMBER, 2009

AT 1430 HOURS

QUESTIONS FOR ORAL ANSWER

56 Mr Nyirenda (Kamfinsa) - to ask the Minister of Works and Supply when the Ministry will rehabilitate and construct the following infrastructure in Kamfinsa Parliamentary Constituency:

(a) Presidential Guest House; and

(b) bridge on Presidential-Matete Road.

57 Mr D Mwila (Chipili) - to ask the Minister of Education:

(a) when the structures under construction at the following schools will be completed:

(i) Chipili High;
(ii) Chinshinki Basic;
(iii) Kaoma Makasa Basic; and
(iv) Moba Basic;

(b) why the Government has taken long to complete the structures at the schools above;

(c) why the above projects were at one time abandoned; and

(d) when the projects last received funding.

58 Mr Katuka (Mwinilunga East) - to ask the Minister of Communications and Transport:

(a) when the rehabilitation of the Solwezi Airport will commence;

(b) how long the rehabilitation works are expected to take; and

(c) how much money is expected to be spent on these rehabilitation works.

59 Ms Limata (Luampa) - to ask the Minister of Home Affairs:

(a) how many people were killed by criminals between Mongu and Kaoma from 2006 to 2009; and

(b) how many people have been arrested in connection with these crimes in the same period.

60 Mr C K Banda (Chasefu) - to ask the Minister of Education when a classroom block and teachers’ houses will be built at Chamusebe School in Chasefu Parliamentary Constituency.

61 Ms Limata (Luampa) - to ask the Minister of Agriculture and Co-operatives whether there are any plans to construct irrigation dams in Luampa Parliamentary Constituency in the following areas:

(a) Muliwa;

(b) Namando;

(c) Luampa Central;

(d) Nyambi;

(e) Nkenga; and

(f) Lui.

62 Mr C Mulenga (Chinsali Central) - to ask the Minister of Education:

(a) how many houses had been constructed at the Mulakupikwa College in Chinsali Parliamentary Constituency as of 30th June, 2009;

(b) how much money has been spent on the project to-date; and

(c) when the construction of the college is expected to be completed and commissioned.

63 Mr Hamusonde (Nangoma) - to ask the Minister of Agriculture and Co-operatives whether there are any plans to increase the number of irrigation dams in each rural constituency country-wide.

64 Mr Kambwili (Roan) - to ask the Minister of Mines and Minerals Development:

(a) what the actual value of Luanshya Copper Mine (LCM) is;

(b) why the Government sold the LCM for US$50 million when the conveyor belt alone from Baluba to the Smelter cost US$8.5 million about 30 years ago; and

(c) why the Government did not publish the details of the three (3) other bids for the purchase of LCM.

65 Mr Mwapela (Kalabo Central) - to ask the Minister of Health when construction of Shang’ombo Hospital will be completed.

66 Mr Sejani (Mapatizya) - to ask the Minister of Health what steps the Government has taken to avert nation-wide strikes by nurses and other medical personnel such as occurred in 2009.

67 Mr E C Mwansa (Chifunabuli) - to ask the Minister of Home Affairs when a police post will be constructed at Lubwe Mission in Chifunabuli Parliamentary Constituency.

68 Dr Chishya (Pambashe) - to ask the Minister of Mines and Minerals Development:

(a) whether the Government has any programmes to begin exploitation of mineral deposits, particularly copper, in
Luapula Province and, if so, when the programmes will begin; and

(b) whether any sites have so far been identified for exploitation purposes, and what sites these are.

69 Mr C K Banda (Chasefu) - to ask the Minister of Education:

(a) when the DMI-ST Eugene University was opened;

(b) why the University was opened when it did not have modern water flushing toilets; and

(c) when construction of modern water flushing toilets at the University will be completed.

70 Mr Chazangwe (Choma Central) - to ask the Minister of Education whether there are any plans for the Ministry to provide pre-school or early childhood care and development education which, currently, is provided mainly by private schools.

PRESENTATION OF GOVERNMENT BILL

His Honour the Vice President and Minister of Justice

The Supreme Court and High Court (Number of Judges) (Amendment) - Bill to amend the Supreme Court and High Court (Number of Judges) Act. (N.A.B. 28/2009)

ORDER OF THE DAY

1 Thanks - His Excellency the President’s Address - Motion (22nd September)
- Resumption of Debate - ().
<<

Laf1986

Message Ven 9 Oct 2009 19:02

Re: Parlement- questions sur la valeur de LCM - 30 sept

VALUE OF LUANSHYA COPPER MINE

64. Mr Kambwili (Roan) asked the Minister of Mines and Minerals Development:

(a) what the actual value of Luanshya Copper Mine (LCM) was;

(b) why the Government sold LCM for US$50 million when the conveyor belt alone from Baluba to the smelter cost US$8.5 million about thirty years ago; and

(c) why the Government did not publish the details of the other three (3) bids for the purchase of LCM.

The Deputy Minister of Mines and Minerals Development (Mr Nkhata): Mr Speaker, the value of a company is determined by valuation of its assets and liabilities. In the case of LCM, the owner did not publish the valuation at the point of sale. The actual value of the company should be taken as the price the seller accepted following negotiations with the buyer.

As regards part (b) of the question, the Government did not sell LCM because it did not own the company. The transaction was for the 85 per cent shares owned by Enya to the private buyer.

On part (c) of the question, all the bids were publicly announced at a rally by the President. Every tender has a confidential undertaking.

I thank you, Sir.

Mr Kambwili: Mr Speaker, the President announced in Luanshya that China was the best bidder. Why where the details of the other three bidders not published so that the public could judge whether this was done transparently?

The Minister of Mines and Minerals Development (Mr M. B. Mwale): Mr Speaker, I thank the hon. Member for Roan for his follow-up question. I am surprised that the hon. Member continues to dwell upon a matter which has been concluded. He should now congratulate this Government that his constituency has jobs.

Mr Kambwili: Question!

Mr M. B. Mwale: Mr Speaker, I would like to inform this House that there is a confidential undertaking with any bid. In any case, what the hon. Member should be interested in is the development of Mulyashi Mine and not the taking over of Baluba Mine.

I thank you, Sir.

Mr D. Mwila indicated to ask a question.

Mr Speaker: Hon. Member for Chipili, I was indicating that you do not stand vertically, but should lean a little.

Mr D. Mwila: Mr Speaker, the hon. Minister has not indicated the purchase price of the mine. What was the cost of 85 per cent shares sold? Secondly, what has happened to the debt which was incurred by the previous company? Has that been cleared or not?

Mr M. B. Mwale: Mr Speaker, the fact that the owner of the mine accepted the US$50 million …

Mr M. B. Mwale: … shows that it was an acceptable figure. You can continue questioning, but you have to come out and declare your interest. At the moment, I would like to inform the hon. Member for Chipili that the US$50 million was settled by the owner of the mine.

I thank you, Sir.

Dr Machungwa (Luapula): Mr Speaker, from the hon. Minister’s answer, it would appear this mine was not owned by the Government, but by the private company which sold the mine. Would the hon. Minister state that the questions that are being asked are supposed to be directed to the owner of the mine who sold it rather than the Government?

Laughter

Mr M. B. Mwale: Yes, Mr Speaker.

Retourner vers About Luanshya & Chambishi - CNMC