Luanshya mine set to reduce costs by 25 p.c.

<<

bingogo

Administrateur du site

Message Mar 1 Fév 2011 08:17

Luanshya mine set to reduce costs by 25 p.c.

By Business Reporter

CHINA Non Ferrous Mining Corporation Luanshya Copper Mine (CLM) has targeted to reduce the cost of producing copper to US$5,000 per tonne from the current US$6,640 in the next one and half years.

CLM public relations officer Sydney Chileya said in an interview in Kitwe yesterday, the targeted reduction would be achieved soon after the overhaul of Baluba Mine was over.

Mr Chileya said the rehabilitation works at Baluba were expected to be completed by the end of this year.

CLM had continued to buy new equipment to cut down on operational costs, the latest one being the ceramic filter used for drying copper concentrates at the cost of $3.5 million.

“In the past, we used to dry copper concentrates in the sun. This is when the old
drum filter which has been been phased out gave us problems, thus increasing the cost of production in terms of repairs and loss of hours,” Mr Chileya said.

Apart from the latest ceramic filter, CLM had acquired five copper crushers at the cost of $280,000 million each.

He said the installation of the equipment already started making a difference in reducing production costs which the company was still accessing.

Meanwhile, Mr Chileya said CLM workers would soon catch up with salaries like other mining companies because the mine was not likely to have any operational problems.

The lowest paid miner at CLM got K1.6 million while in other mines it was K2.4 million on average.

Mr Chileya said the closures CLM experienced between 2000 and 2003 contributed to the salaries not being improved because there were no negotiations.

He said between 2004 and 2008 when Enya Holdings owned the mine, there was a wage freeze that went up until there was a global economic meltdown in 2009 when the mine was placed under care and maintenance.

Mr Chileya said it was for this reason that CLM miners got less salaries compared to other mining firms.

He said CLM stopped operating during the global economic recession therefore there were no salary negotiations hence the difference.
He said CLM was committed to ensuring that minersí welfare was improved.
<<

bingogo

Administrateur du site

Message Mar 1 Fév 2011 08:26

Re: Luanshya mine set to reduce costs by 25 p.c.

les couts sont élevés sur cette mine !

on dégage toutefois près de 3000 $ de marge par tonne actuellement.. et un peu plus les prochaines semaines

Retourner vers About Luanshya & Chambishi - CNMC