Message Lun 31 Jan 2011 20:07

Luanshya Mine out to curb Copper thefts

Monday, January 31, 2011, 14:30 |
Zambia: Luanshya Mine out to curb Copper thefts

China Non-Ferrous Metal Mining Luanshya Copper Mine
Luanshya Copper Mines (LCCM ) PLC in the Copperbelt Province has put in place stringent measures to curb rampant theft of Copper at the Mine.

Speaking on the Zambia National Broadcasting Corporation (ZNBC) programme called Kwacha Good Morning Zambia televised from the Kitwe studions yesterday, Mine Spokesperson Sydney Chileya said the mining company has put in adequate security measures to ensure that Copper proliferation at the mine became a thing of the past.

Mr Chileya charged that some people on the Copperbelt mines have been stealing Copper, Copper Cathodes, and copper ore among other copper products worth millions of kwacha adding that it was high time the problem was brought under control once and for all.

He said the mine had since joined hands with State Police to ensure that culprits were arrested to bring sanity at the mine.
‘We have joined hands with the Zambia Police in the area to root out all criminal activities at Luanshya Copper mines. We wont sit idle and watch people steal copper ruthlessly at the mine”, said Mr Chileya.

He called on the people of Luanshya to work hand in hand with Luanshya Copper mine officials in a bid to eradicate copper thefts at the mine for the benefit of all residents.

CNMC-Luanshya Copper Mines produces over 25 000 Copper concentrates per month and since its inception, the mining firm has so far produced Copper worth over $12 million.

Of late, Luanshya Copper Mines PLC has been experiencing copper thefts raising a major concern from mine owners.
[ZANIS]

http://www.lusakatimes.com/2011/01/31/l ... er-thefts/
« L'aventure n'existe pas. Elle est dans l'esprit de celui qui la poursuit, et dès qu'il peut la toucher du doigt, elle s'évanouit pour renaître bien plus loin, sous une autre forme, aux limites de l'imagination. »
( Pierre Mac Orlan )