Message Mar 18 Jan 2011 08:38

CLM invests K500m to curb mine pollution

CLM invests K500m to curb mine pollution

By Business Reporter

NON ferrous Mining Corporation Luanshya Copper Mines (CLM) has bought five dust suppression equipment worth K500 million to prevent mine emissions from getting into the atmosphere.

CLM public relations officer Sydney Chileya said in an interview yesterday in Kitwe that the equipment would be mounted on the crushers at the concentrator section at Baluba Mine.

Mr Chileya said the procurement of the dust suppressions was part of the US$ 75 million overhauling of the Baluba Mine.

“The equipment was bought from South Africa while the housing units for the equipment were fabricated locally,” Mr Chileya said.

The mine has pledged to operate according to the provisions of the Environmental Protection and Pollution Control Act.

The machines had been mounted on the crushers and test running would begin this week.

Mr Chileya said the installation of the equipment is aimed at increasing environmental compliance levels.

He said CLM was committed to ensuring that pollution levels were reduced to acceptable levels.

The mine would ensure the environment within which it operated was not affected negatively while at the same time maximising production.

CLM has projected to invest more than US$420 million in rehabilitating Baluba Mine while the Muliashi open pit copper project development, valued at US$350 million was on course.

CLM took over operations of the mine in Luanshya after Enya Holdings ceased operations during the global economic meltdown in 2009.

More than 2,000 workers had been engaged and CLM has projected to employ more once the Muliashi copper project becomes operational before the end of this year.

Meanwhile, CLM has surpassed the 2010 targeted production level of 765,000 tones by producing 800,000 tonnes of copper ore.

Company deputy chief executive officer Robbert Kamanga said a user-friendly environment and good policies were responsible for an attractive outturn and a promising future.

He also dismissed allegations the company was paying meager salaries and the minimum salary for miners was about K1.5 million and negotiations for improved conditions of service in 2011 had started.

Mr Kamanga said the firm will soon start the recruitment exercise for the 1,000 jobs for the Muliashi mine.

Mr Kamanga said the 2011 production was 1.2 million tonnes and was confident that CLM would produce more because of the favourable climate in the country coupled with the high copper prices on the international market.

He also said the Chinese owned company had spent K13 billion on community service programme including donation of fertiliser to the surrounding and needy farmers.

He said allegations that Chinese owned companies were offering poor conditions of service were inaccurate.