Message Sam 15 Jan 2011 09:13

China to spend USD 100 million to revitalize Luanshya Copper

China to spend USD 100 million to revitalize Luanshya Copper mine
Saturday, 15 Jan 2011
EmailButton
Pdf_button

China Non Ferrous Mining Corporation spent more than USD 100 million to revitalize operations at its Luanshya Copper Mine in Zambia, one of the oldest mines in the Southern African country.

According to company spokesperson Mr Sydney Chileya, the miner spent USD 110 million on the development of Greenfield Muliashi Copper project out of the projected USD 400 million. Construction works were on schedule and the mine was expected to start production in December this year.

Mr Chileya said that 80% of the works at the administration block which would house a clinic, workshop and change rooms for the workers had been done. About 40% of excavation of the over burden (top soil) above the copper ore body had been done.

There had been some challenges in removing the over burden at the mining site because we needed to buy some equipment from China, United States, German and South Africa for the job.

Mr Chileya said that due to some factors including technical expertise coming from other countries there was some delay. More than eight million tonnes of over burden out the 15 million tonnes had been removed. The construction and development of the Muliashi open pit copper project started last year in March and was expected to be completed this December. CLM has also invested over USD 70 million in the overhauling of Baluba Mine.

Recently, management expressed optimism that the mine this year will endeavour to meet the anticipated production target of more than 1,000 tonnes of copper ore a day. All was set to ensure that the production target of 1,000 tonnes of copper ore to be mined in a day was met throughout this year.

According to Mr Chileya, from the time the mine officially commissioned its resumption of production the stock piling process was going on as planned.

He said that "From the look of things all the stages of the mining process which include the crushing and the milling of the copper ore will be done with little difficulty because the mine owners have invested in modern equipment which has replaced the old mining technology.”

The mine owners have since securing the mine two years ago invested more than USD 300 million into mine operations including Mulyashi open pit which opens later this year.